Rooster sounds hoarse

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tdgill, Nov 22, 2010.

1. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

Acting fine, eating drinking. Just seems to have lost some of his crow. Haven't seen anything strange yet in his throat but I did notice that his larynx hangs lower than my other rooster. It is more noticeable when feeling his throat that is. Been doing some research but thought I would put out a request for ideas. Thanks all.

2. TheFarmMama

TheFarmMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Stafford, VA
    Sometimes chickens do lose their voices if crowing/cackling a lot, I've had it happen on a few occasions. It might help to try a little VetRX down his throat and in the waterer incase he's starting to catch a cold. Hope that helps.

3. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

ok, now I've noticed that he seems very fat between his legs and his back end. Might be normal, just hadn't noticed before. My other roo doesnt feel that same fattness. I read something on here where someone mentioned fattness between the legs and backend....now i can't find it.

Today he seems not as active as usual, has eaten a bit - I'm going out with some scrambled egg for him. His breathing is more noticeable today too.. slight opening of mouth on inhale but no wheezing or coughing

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by