Rooster species confused???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dipsey2209, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Dipsey2209

Dipsey2209 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2011
    I have a black Standard Cochin rooster i bought at auction I'm thinking maybe he was a school project,hatched out and held ALOT by children something?...He wants nothing to do with the other chickens,he runs from them or trys to beat them up depending on his mood all he wants to do is hang out with people annoyingly so if i sit he's in my lap,if i drive out of the driveway he chases me down the road,If my husband is under a vehicle working on it he stands on my husbands legs or stands next to his head and observes,he wont go into the coop at night with the other chickens,he prefers to sleep on my porch,he would come in the house and make himself at home on my couch and watch the news if i let him,It's nice to have a friend but this is getting rediculous especially when i have to stop and chase him back into the drive way when i want to go somewhere i'm afraid he's going to get run over...How do i get this Rooster to learn he is NOT human??

2. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    How old is he? Is he old enough to breed yet?

3. Dipsey2209

Jun 25, 2011
    def old enough to breed not sure the age but seems to be an older guy he has quite large,long spurs

4. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    so this is a really entrenched behavior then. My suggestion would be to pen him up with a few hens for a while. He won't like it, but it's better than being a rooster pancake on the road, and eventually he will discover their charms and bond to them. I have a little Dutch roo that loves me to pieces. As a cockerel he followed me everywhere ( and he DID what tv with me lol), but once I put him with two hens for breeding, he figured out he's a chicken. He still follows me around, but with one eye on "his girls," and he wants to be with them at night instead of sleeping on the porch swing. That's the only thing I can think that might work.

5. Dipsey2209

Jun 25, 2011
    hmmm.thank you that just may be the solution i'm looking for

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by