Rooster Spur???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GaDawg, Aug 12, 2008.

1. GaDawg

GaDawg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    North GA
    Do all roosters get them and at what age do they start growing them?

thank you

[​IMG]

2. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    Yes, they all get them. They start showing up at different times for different breeds, but you can typically see them start growing at 3 months old or so.

3. GaDawg

GaDawg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    North GA
    Thank you,

my roo is 17 weeks old and I don't see anything yet. He's an EE

I found this while looking online for an answer.
    [​IMG]
    Old Wives Method of Dealing with Rooster Spurs: (from someone's old wife)

Bake a medium sized potato in the microwave until fairly soft (about 8-10 minutes). When the potato is ready, cut it in half crosswise and impale half on each spur all the way to the shank of the leg. Leave them there for 1-2 minutes. The heat and humidity will soften the "horny, keratinized layer" on the spur . Using gloves, one at a time, grab the spurs firmly and twist off the hard outer layer. It should come off fairly easily. This will leave the calcar which is soft and not dangerous. The hard layer will grow back, so this procedure will have to be repeated.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  4. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    EE's have a lot of oriental in them, which makes them mature slower, it isn't uncommon for the spurs to take quite a while to really show up. BTW, I don't recommend that method to remove spurs. If you want to do that, check out this article I wrote on my website HERE .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by