Rooster Spurring young son

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jwatts, Nov 7, 2011.

1. jwatts

jwatts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    I have a pretty big Bantam rooster that is spurring my 1 1/2 year old son. Roo's spurs are about 1 1/4". He chased my son in the yard kicking and spurring him all the way. What should i do?? I gave the roo a good Boot but he continuid to spurr 10 min. later. Im not sure if he need a LONG nap or what. Thank you

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Get rid of the rooster. Childen come first.

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Kill it.

4. ODEY587

ODEY587 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2011
    kicking him will make him want to flog you more, id make dinner!!

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Cull him immediately. If you can't do it then crate him until you can find someone who will.

6. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Agreed 100% with the others! Kicking the roo will not make him stop, it would make it worse. Some roos just aren't good "pets" to have. That bantam roo could blind your son, or cut him so he needs serious stitches. If you do not kill him or get rid of him, at least put him in a cage so he can not harm your child or you.

It needs to be reiterated....children come first! Every single time!

7. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Ditto everyone!! I had two roosters who I hatched this spring. One of them challenged ME twice. They were gone. There is no way I would allow a rooster to chase a child of mine twice. Serious damage could be done to the child.

8. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    I'm thinking chicken & dumplings, gumbo, bbq. soup. [​IMG] So sorry for your son [​IMG] he could have been badly hurt. there is too many good roos to put up with a bad one.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2011
  9. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    X8. Crate that monster and get him out of there. You might be able to handle him yourself after plenty of butt kickings, maybe, but he'll always attack your son. And could seriously injure and blind him. Either eat him or give him to someone who will. Don't allow those genes to be passed on. Mean is usually inherited.

10. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Your yard is first and foremost for you and your family, and they should feel safe there. I'd either get rid of the roo, or take away his free-range privileges altogether.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by