Rooster spurs - can they be trimmed???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CochinBantams, Sep 10, 2011.

1. CochinBantams

CochinBantams Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    My rooster has a favorite hen; he mates with her all the time and she is loosing the feathers on her back from it. I also worry about his spurs. He is just getting old enough that they are coming out. Is there a way to trim them or blunt them? If so what is the method without hurting them?

2. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    I have used dog nail trimmers and basically clip the same way. You need to make sure you don't clip the quick. so just take off very small mount at a ttime, or you could use a dremel to dull them, or you could buy a saddle dor your girl. [​IMG]

3. CochinBantams

CochinBantams Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Thanks for the tips. I was thinking of clipping with my dog's trimmer, but wasn't sure if they had a "quick" or not.

4. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    I've heard of people using a "saw" to remove them, they do grow back and yes they will bleed some.
    hot potato.

5. opalwednesday

opalwednesday Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Ridgecrest
    check into the spur removal solution. you use pliers to twist the thing at the base and all that's left when you slide it off is the quick, which eventually gets harder and harder until you remove it again. it's supposedly not painful.

6. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I have different birds that all have different spurs. Yes, they are similar to a toenail with a quick, some of my boys, they grow fat and long, other roos, they curl up, and fall off every year. I have a japanese bantam, has the same spurs for 5 years, I just file the ends so they don't poke the girls. Strange, isn't it? I just use the dog nail clipper, and chip away a little at a time so you don't get blood. Make sure you have blood stop just in case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by