rooster spurs..how long should they be before trimming

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickybuddy100, Feb 17, 2015.

1. chickybuddy100

chickybuddy100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2014
    Hello I'm a newbie to rooster spur trimming.how long should they be before trimming.....or is there a precise length...I don't want to trim them if they are not long enough..please help me....I don't want to hurt the chicken (they are about 3/4in - an inch )

2. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    I've got hens with spurs longer than that.
    Why do you have the urge to trim them?

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I wouldn't trim them at all unless they are a problem, like interfering with it's ability to walk.

Why do you want to trim them?

4. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    I don't trim. The only thing I do is twist off the outer layer if the spurs concern me. There's a softer spur underneath that outer layer, and the softer spur will wear down a little over the following few days, ending up with a shorter spur. The softer spur slowly grows a harder layer in the next week or so. I haven't done it if the spurs are only an inch long. But, of course, it's on a case by case basis.

I have had one rooster that had spurs that curved up a bit and I was afraid he would impale himself when jumping down from the roost.

There is not precise length at which someone is supposed to trim their roosters' spurs, although some folks may have a preferred length. For the most part, for me, it's just making work for myself and troubling a rooster that is just fine with the spurs the way they are ... well, unless he's tripping over himself, which I've not ever seen ... yet.

5. chickybuddy100

chickybuddy100 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2014

Thanks and the reason why I need to "trim them " is because when I have him with the hens to get eggs to hatch chicks he rubs off all there back feathers with his spurs :-( I didn't think that was normal or is it

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Quote: It's actually more their toenails that damage the feathers on the hens backs than their spurs.

You could try using hen saddles to protect the hens back feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by