Rooster spurs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lrichards, Jan 26, 2009.

1. lrichards

lrichards In the Brooder

Aug 22, 2008
    How do you clip/trim a roo's spurs and nails? Is it just like a humans?

2. Depending on how long they are, that plays alot into it. If you cut too close the will bleed. Say for instance, if the spur is an inch long, i usually cut no more than an 1/8th off. Keeps the bleeding down to almost non existant. Rooster spurs are just like a human nail or a dogs claws. Cut too close and you cut into the "quick" so to say. I have read on the net that theres an old way of using a potato heated up in the microwave. Ive never tried it but its worth taking another look at i guess Google it and Keep us posted if you try it out.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  3. JayBird+16

JayBird+16 Songster

Jun 27, 2008
    Fitzwilliam, NH
    Do you have to trim the spurs?

4. lrichards

lrichards In the Brooder

Aug 22, 2008
    No, I don't have to trim them I just do not want him getting anyone with them. So I thought if I filed them or something that they would not be so dangerous.

5. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Songster

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I use a dog nail clipper and just take the tip off, never had any bleeding. He doesn't like it but it helps when i go to feed them and he kicks me in the rear [​IMG]

6. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Songster

Jan 29, 2007
    Here ya go.........

7. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Songster

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    Is there any way to de-spur a roo? Kinda like you de-horn a goat?

8. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Songster

Jan 29, 2007
    Quote:See my post above.

9. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Songster

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    Well I am at work and you tube is restricted....boo... I am guessing that yes you can?

10. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Songster

Jan 29, 2007
    Quote:I sent a vidoe on how a guy does it by removing the spur by pushing it in and giving it a twirl.

My choice at the time was baking a potatoe in the microwave and placing it on the spur (not too close to the skin) waiting awhile, twisting gently then pulling the spur off which leaves a tiny new spur which will grow out in time.

If theres bleeding, just put some cornstarch on it. I had some minor bleeding which I covered with a pad and vetwrap and put him in a cage so that he wouldn't get it dirty and I wanted him to be quiet for awhile until he was back to normal. No big deal. It's a lot more professional to remove the spur than to just snip away at it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by