Rooster spurs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lrichards, Jan 26, 2009.

1. lrichards

lrichards Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2008
    How do you clip/trim a roo's spurs and nails? Is it just like a humans?

2. Orpingtonman

Orpingtonman Chillin' With My Peeps

Depending on how long they are, that plays alot into it. If you cut too close the will bleed. Say for instance, if the spur is an inch long, i usually cut no more than an 1/8th off. Keeps the bleeding down to almost non existant. Rooster spurs are just like a human nail or a dogs claws. Cut too close and you cut into the "quick" so to say. I have read on the net that theres an old way of using a potato heated up in the microwave. Ive never tried it but its worth taking another look at i guess Google it and Keep us posted if you try it out.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  3. JayBird+16

JayBird+16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Fitzwilliam, NH
    Do you have to trim the spurs?

4. lrichards

lrichards Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2008
    No, I don't have to trim them I just do not want him getting anyone with them. So I thought if I filed them or something that they would not be so dangerous.

5. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I use a dog nail clipper and just take the tip off, never had any bleeding. He doesn't like it but it helps when i go to feed them and he kicks me in the rear [​IMG]

6. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Here ya go.........

7. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    Is there any way to de-spur a roo? Kinda like you de-horn a goat?

8. Toast n Jelly

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Quote:See my post above.

9. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    Well I am at work and you tube is restricted....boo... I am guessing that yes you can?

10. Toast n Jelly

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    Quote:I sent a vidoe on how a guy does it by removing the spur by pushing it in and giving it a twirl.

My choice at the time was baking a potatoe in the microwave and placing it on the spur (not too close to the skin) waiting awhile, twisting gently then pulling the spur off which leaves a tiny new spur which will grow out in time.

If theres bleeding, just put some cornstarch on it. I had some minor bleeding which I covered with a pad and vetwrap and put him in a cage so that he wouldn't get it dirty and I wanted him to be quiet for awhile until he was back to normal. No big deal. It's a lot more professional to remove the spur than to just snip away at it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by