Rooster Spurs

Windy Lane

Songster
Aug 5, 2017
Does my 2-1/2 yr old Rooster have abnormal spur growth? There is only a bone like spur "cap" on the tip and from his leg to the cap it's thick and round and scaled and looks like his leg and toes do. Just curious...here's pictures of them:

Attachments

• IMG_1241.jpg
    IMG_1241.jpg
    242.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1247.jpg
    IMG_1247.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 27
How long have you had him?
Photo of whole rooster?
To me, it looks like the spurs have been cut off/ trimmed at some point in time.
In the photo below, the back toe - is it missing a toenail?
Also can you look at the bottom of the feet - is there any scabbing or swelling?

upload_2018-11-3_7-42-54.png

Dang...I just put him back in coop this morning. I'll go in this evening and get a better look at the bottom of his feet. We incubated him so we've had him all along. One of his toes are crooked and I believe he broke it. This happened sometime this past spring...I have no idea how but he gets along just fine. Last fall we trimmed his long normal bone-like spurs by using the plier method. Could this have caused them to grow back abnormal? He has 29 hens.

Attachments

• 9CDB1338-369B-478D-94BC-E3B9FDC33F96.JPG
    9CDB1338-369B-478D-94BC-E3B9FDC33F96.JPG
    614.3 KB · Views: 10
Dang...I just put him back in coop this morning. I'll go in this evening and get a better look at the bottom of his feet. We incubated him so we've had him all along. One of his toes are crooked and I believe he broke it. This happened sometime this past spring...I have no idea how but he gets along just fine. Last fall we trimmed his long normal bone-like spurs by using the plier method. Could this have caused them to grow back abnormal? He has 29 hens.
Well, is he having trouble walking?
They are not that long, so don't need trimming or anything to me.
With the plier method, how is that done? Grab hold and twist off the outer sheath?

No trouble walking or mating. Yes...the plier method is to gently grasp a spur and twist and it pops off. I'll keep an eye on them and I thank you for your reply.

Back
Top Bottom