Rooster Spurs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gettheflockoutofhere, Jan 1, 2010.

1. gettheflockoutofhere

gettheflockoutofhere New Egg

Dec 12, 2009
    I have a 9 month old RIR rooster who has developed quite an attitude and flogs or spurs you when you turn your back on him while feeding or collecting eggs. Does anyone know of a humane way to remove or grind down his spurs? I don't want to hurt this bird, but I don't like being hurt by him either.
    Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

2. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    We use a dremel tool on ours to keep them trimmed down. It works well.

3. pkeeler

pkeeler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Shamong
    In my limited experience, this is only going to get worse. You could try Googling Robert Plasmodon, he has an article on how to change aggressive rooster behavior. But if that doesn't work, I would eat or sell the rooster. RIR roos are notorious, so unless you want to breed one, I would go for a more docile breed of rooster.

4. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I have a rooster that does the same thing. I just file down his spurs and while it still hurts to get flogged, there is no puncturing the skin.

5. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    Our RIR roo was dinner. He just did not get any nicer. We now have a great Buff Orp roo who is great with the hens and the whole family. The only one he doesn't like is our Boston Terrier mix dog. He doesn't attack him just keeps a very close eye on him. We don't keep them together unsupervised either though.

6. SmartyChick

SmartyChick An Official Milkmaid

Oct 19, 2009
    Sullivan County NY
    I would send him to freezer camp...there are too many sweet roosters that need homes to tolerate an aggressive one.

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Here's a terrific how-to on removing rooster spurs. It's amazing - they're like horny caps on his fleshy nub, and they just twist right off! No cutting, squeezing or yanking, just need a pair of pliers!

Please don't eat him yet!

8. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I do exactly that. Grasp his leg firmly, & with a pair of plyers, twist the spur & it will come off. It won't bleed either. It will grow back so you'll have to do it once a year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by