1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster Spurs?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by buelltonbrian, Apr 30, 2007.

1. buelltonbrian

buelltonbrian New Egg

Feb 5, 2007
    Central Calif. Kind of.
    Hi everyone,
    I am new at this, and I am rasing my first chickens ever. I have 12 banties that are 3 weeks old. I am wondering if anyone can tell me. Do all rosters get a spur, and when does it start to develop?
    Thanks
    Brian

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  2. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    All of your chicks will get a 'bump'. One the roos, it woll grow bigger. My chicks are 8 weeks old, and the roos have a 'bump' thats roughly the size of the tip of a pencils lead. In other words, still quite small, but bigger on them than on the pullets. They started getting the bumps around 4 weeks old.

3. allen wranch

allen wranch Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    San Marcos, TX
    Yes, all roosters have spurs, BUT some hens can get them too.

If you are trying to determine the sex of your chicks, the development and reddness of the comb are usually the first rooster signs. However, a lot depends on the breed also.

4. buelltonbrian

buelltonbrian New Egg

Feb 5, 2007
    Central Calif. Kind of.
    Thanks for the help. I noticed that they were getting a bump and thought that they were getting spurs. I guess I will just have to wait and see. I am glad to know that they all get the bump because when I saw it, I was getting a little bummed because I thought they were all roos.

Thanks again
    Brian

5. sweetmama65000

sweetmama65000 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2007
    nashville, n.c.
    at what age will the roosters have actual spurs? my Spot is 7 months old, and all he has still is a bump. he also sets in the nest and coos sometimes. what does THAT mean?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by