Rooster spurs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chicken.Lytle, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  2. Rocky Road

Rocky Road Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    I saw a video on you tube of someone removing spurs. Its very simple. You hold the rooster and his leg (you may need help because you don't want to hurt his leg), then with some pliers gently grab a hold of the spur and twist it back and forth and then you can pull it right off. In the video the rooster didn't move/squak at all and it looked painless. When you do this they are left with a fleshy stub and it will maybe bleed 1-2 drops of blood at most they said! Give that a try or find the video on youtube.

3. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Quote:I'm going to look for that video! Our sweet cockerel became a bit aggressive (with US, never with his hens) when he hit 10-months and we were worried that we might not be able to keep him. We started running AT HIM and randomly snatching him up off the ground and carrying him around under an arm, like a hen, and it seems to have put him back in place (boss of his flock but not of us), but I'd like to know how to remove the spurs if we need to in the future.

4. Rocky Road

May 14, 2011
    I'm going to look for that video! Our sweet cockerel became a bit aggressive (with US, never with his hens) when he hit 10-months and we were worried that we might not be able to keep him. We started running AT HIM and randomly snatching him up off the ground and carrying him around under an arm, like a hen, and it seems to have put him back in place (boss of his flock but not of us), but I'd like to know how to remove the spurs if we need to in the future.

I will try and look to see if I can find it. I know I was reading a thread and someone posted it on there! I was so amazed I had to check out my rooster's spurs and touch them . . haha.​

5. Rocky Road

May 14, 2011
  6. JoePa

JoePa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Lehigh County Pa.
    When I watched that video I also chicked on some other videos - a couple showed how to dub a rooster - what in the world is that all about - sure seemed to hurt the chicken - for what?

7. Rocky Road

May 14, 2011
    Quote:not sure about that?!?! I just know that this video seems pretty humane and easy on the rooster as well.

8. JoePa

JoePa Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Lehigh County Pa.
    Quote:not sure about that?!?! I just know that this video seems pretty humane and easy on the rooster as well.

I didn't refer to getting rid of the rooster's spurs - the videos I was refering to showed someone cut off the ear lobes and combs of roosters - they called it dubbing - I don't think you read what I wrote - shame - shame [​IMG]

9. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    I'm planning on keeping my ornery little bantam roo's spurs filed down, but I doubt I'll remove them completely unless it becomes absolutely necessary. He's only a year old, so he still has really short spurs anyway, but you can't turn your back on him because he sometimes takes a notion to attack your feet or lower legs. If I didn't like his coloration so much I'd probably have tried to give him away by now. [​IMG]

Quote:Dubbing is required for roosters of some breeds (Old English Game Bantams and American Game Chickens for example) before they can meet the standards if you want to enter them in poultry shows. I think it's a throwback to when cockfighting was commonplace; people would do this to the roosters so that there would be no combs are wattles that could be grabbed and injured during a fight. It's since become a standard practice for exhibition of certain breeds of game roosters as well. It's just their "look" I guess.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  10. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Please check out my Handling Rooster Aggression page in my .sig below. You can speed-walk after your rooster for a while to intimidate him into being non-Alpha around you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by