Rooster Spurs

Ole!

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 28, 2011
I have a 5 year old Rooster that has spurs that curve into a semi circle on each leg. They do not seem to be a problem to him but recently he has not been able to get onto a perch and I am wondering if the spurs are the cause. He seems fine otherwise. I am not sure about trimming the spurs and he does not hurt any of the other birds with them so I have never really worried about them until now.

Hi, hello and
welcome-byc.gif
from MN. Even if they are not bothering him i would still trim them before they start growing into his leggs.

You can remove the spur sheath by holding the rooster in one arm and taking hold of the spur and twisting back and forth. Do not rock it back and forth but twist it. You may have to use a pair of pliers to get a firm enough grip. With a twisting back and forth motion this does not hurt the bird. You will eventually feel the spur sheath pop loose at which time you can just slide it off. There will be a shorter spur shaft under this. It may bleed slightly at first but quickly stops. Then do the other spur. In a couple of months or so you can do it again and his spurs will be even shorter.

Back
Top Bottom