Rooster Spurs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenchickenbulkbulk, Jul 31, 2008.

1. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    What is the safest way to trim rooster spurs? I watched my Grandfather do this when I was a little girl, but my memory isn't very clear. Any suggestions. Our rooster is tearing up our hens. His spurs are so sharp....our hens have cuts on both of their side. Some are deep!! I am thinking Grandpa clipped them off with wire cutters?!?![​IMG]

2. americana-chick

americana-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    you posted this in the wrong section but that gave me a good idea for a contest!

3. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    I realized what I did after I did it. I am glad that I could help you. [​IMG]

4. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    Now it would be nice if someone could help us all by answering your question....
    [​IMG]

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Moved this to everything else chicken so that someone with an answer is likely to see it. There are multiple methods including taking a dremmel and cutting the end off, taking pliers and twisting off, or taking a hot potato sticking it on, and then twisting it off.

Might search "trimming spurs" and the like.

6. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    We take a dremel and cut them off. We leave about an inch (too close and they will bleed) and then round off the stub. No problems at all.

ETA that when you trim the spurs they smell like burning hair and you might want to cover up your nose/mouth so you don't breathe it in....nasty.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2008
  7. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I don't feel right removing my roo's spurs, so I purchased chicken saddles for the girls! They work great. Wish I had a picture...if you're interested, I purchased my saddles from:

http://www.mbldesigns.com/chicken_aprons.html

8. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I use a dremil on mine. I use a big sand papper disk that comes in the kit I have. I have also used dog nail clippers. Don't be shy about it. Cut them short. They might bleed, but it will be better then a little trim and your hens still getting stabbed with them. [​IMG]

9. Break an Egg

Break an Egg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    San Antonio
    I read in storey's guide to raising chickens that you can put oil like baby oil or veg oil and softly move the spur back and forth and it will come off after a while. I don't know if this works, and even if it did you would need someone beside yourself, one person to hold the bird down and the other to do the deed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by