Rooster spurs

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Gracie_Chickie, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Gracie_Chickie

Gracie_Chickie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2007
    Indiana
    I just noticed that my RIR roo's spurs have grown a lot. Do the spurs have quick in them like a toenail? Just wonder how careful I need to be when I trim them.

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    That's a great question of which I'd like to hear the answer myself. So, does anyone know???

3. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    I have heard that you can trim them right back with no problems. Well, I guess your only problem is you may irritate your Rooster. Please dont take my word for it though as I have never tried this for myself.

4. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
  5. a2ms4chickens

a2ms4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    My DS and I just used the dremel to sand down our roosters' spurs, yesterday.

I think it my have gotten a little warm while sanding them down, because they would jerk their leg if we kept it in one place too long. We did get a little close to the core of the spur on a couple of roos, because we did see blood. None had any dripping blood, though.

However, it was very easy to do and the roos didn't seem to mind too much. The hens will be very greatful!!!

6. ILoveJoe

ILoveJoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    The spur does actually have a bony projection from the leg. I wouldn't use anything that cuts into the bone once a rooster is grown.

Here is a publication from OSU about spurs.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0014.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by