Rooster stands guard over laying hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ILoveJoe, Nov 25, 2008.

1. ILoveJoe

ILoveJoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    Since the 15th of this month I have been getting one egg a day, except on the 19th and 20th, no eggs at all on those two days. Only 2 times have I found the egg in the nest boxes with the golf balls. The remainder of the times I have found the egg in a hollowed out place in the bedding near the pop door. The first egg was randonly under the roosts.

I had my suspicions on who was laying, but yesterday I watched the BA Rue walk around squawking and searching while Hoss hovered nearby. He took her over to the nest boxes and rumbled deep in his throat. Nope, she squawked and went over to the corner by the pop door and kicked herself a nice cozy spot. Hoss stood over her and grumbled encouraging words for about 10 minutes. The other hens would come over and get close , then amble off on their own. However one of the GLW stayed as close as she could for as long as I was watching. It was almost as if she was taking notes.

I couldn't take it any longer and went back into the house. Later there was a small brown egg in that area.

Well today I found the GLW snuggled in the nest box and Hoss standing over her! I must have upset him because he ruffled his feathers and left the coop and the young rooster Al Runion came in and pecked the hen and she got up! He then came over and gave me the fish eye and pecked my feet. I picked up that young punk and walked around with him for awhile, set him down and I left.

I came back an hour later to see if there were ANY eggs and found a nice egg from the GLW in the nest box still warm and slightly wet.

[​IMG]

I took that egg into the house, and later went back out with my camera to get a picture of another rooster Dougie, who has a spot on his comb. There was Rue in her corner and Hoss was standing on the roost watching over her.

[​IMG]

I took some pictures, left them alone and went back into the house AGAIN. Around 4:30 when I went back out, there was the hollowed out spot and no egg. [​IMG]
    I turned around and there in the same nest box the GLW had used earlier was an egg nestled in among the golf balls.

I had no idea that the rooster played such a role while the hens were laying. I showed Hoss the egg before I left and I got the impression he wasn't to pleased I was taking it. I am sure I am animorphising (sp?) this event, but his look seemed to say....after ALL that work, your taking the egg?!

The Black Australorps eggs are lighter in color and were much smaller to begin and have slowly gotten larger. Not much though they are still pretty small, but tasty!

[​IMG]

First egg:

[​IMG]

Cooking that first egg in a pan of butter with a store bought egg.

[​IMG]

2. LuvinMyPeeps

LuvinMyPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2008
    Powhatan, VA 23139
    That's cute! What a good boy!!! [​IMG]

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    My roosters stand with the hens while they lay their eggs too and talk to the hens.Before I got a rooster ,I had to stand outside the door to the coop before my red sexlink would lay her eggs.

4. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Shortly after laying an egg, the hens will usually become "receptive" to the advances of a rooster. Of course, the roosters quickly learn this, and will wait for the hens to leave the nests. I highly doubt that these roosters are "standing guard" over the hens, but rather have their own self interests in mind.

Dirty old letcherous disgusting males!

5. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    [​IMG]

The idea of laying an egg and then....... [​IMG]

I'd be oh forget [​IMG]

6. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    We have a little Serama cockerel that will not only wait and talk to the girls while they lay but, he has been in the nest box with them and will make the nest for them! I do think he is waiting to be paid in the usual chicken manner... [​IMG] He also does the sympathy scream while and after they lay. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    My leghorn will make a nest to! He'll scratch out a little hole and let one of the pullets go in there then he will bring her pieces of food. It' like getting served breakfast in bed.

8. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    This is starting to read like a chicken soap opera.

Possibly: As The Gizzard Turns.??? [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  9. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

What a sweetie. I don't have a rooster but some of the hens attend on the others while they lay, perching just outside the box and 'talking' to them. Ladies-in-waiting some, others have already laid. Redwing is the best attendant, she always waits to lay until the others are done. Fascinating behaviors all.

10. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I dunno.... my roo spent over an hour one day digging out every spot for one of his hens..... any spot she showed interest in he would dig out for her and wait for her inspection, then he would stand by her and purr while she decided if she was gonna lay that egg... [​IMG] I finally got tired of waiting and left. [​IMG] If I'm ever there when she gets that egg laid, I'll let you know how he reacts [​IMG] He's very good to his gals and I honestly think there's more to it than opportunity because my oldest hen (one of his girls) also stands by often and runs off other birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by