Rooster started attacking kiddo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by farmqueen, Aug 8, 2008.

1. farmqueen

farmqueen Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    Lake Country
    Our rooster has started attacking our dd -- what to do about it? They are scared to go in the yard!!

2. masschix

masschix Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Central Massachusetts
    Try putting your roo in the run for a while. My two kids were a little timid of our roo and we had them feeding the roo all the treats. Now he won't go to anyone but the kids.

3. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Fried Chicken tomorrow night!! [​IMG]

Seriously though, last year my "nice roo" started attacking my neighbor's son/our young friend & my dd who did not handle him much when he was little. He did this unprovoked. The next day he was gone~~it is very hard if you raise them from chicks, but I don't want my children & my children's friends to be afraid of anything in my yard....Though I really do like & take care of my animals, I believe in "people before animals."

JMHO though [​IMG]

4. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    I agree, I would eat the little bugger. I don't allow mean in my yard unless it is me.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Check out my page on roo behavior, the link is in my sig line, maybe it will help.

6. farmqueen

May 1, 2008
    Lake Country
    Rooster, you have good ideas, but I dont think dd could do what you suggest -- any other suggestions? He does not attack me at all. . .

7. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Make Soup [​IMG]

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    How old is your DD?

9. farmqueen

May 1, 2008
    Lake Country

And she did suggest that we have him for breakfast . . . [​IMG]

10. Little Chicken Farmers

Little Chicken Farmers Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2008
    Canby , Oregon
    I have had the exact same problem.........My Buff Orph Roo has been going after my kids...2 and 5. I tried picking him up and carrying him around...making him be submissive... hasnt really helped. He wont do anything if I am out there but if he sees the kids alone he charges and goes after them. Today he went after the 8 yr old girl I babysit.... she is big for her age.....he attacked her then chased her 200' all the way to the front door..... so unfortuanetly tomorrow he is getting the "axe" .....I hate to do it too....raised him from a chick but I cant have this going on with kids. If they have an aggressive personality I dont think it will change......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by