rooster stay or rooster go??

Hennyhandler

SilkieJax
10 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Cullman
I have a rooster that i do love but I'm starting to feel he is too aggresive. What do ya'll think? He is a RIR and he is roughly 10 months old. He does cacklet to the hens to show them food and he puts them to bed as well. He crows a lot which I love but on the other hand... Almost all of my hens have bare backs and just today i started to notice a beginning bare spot on the back of one or two of the heads.
I haven't got to see them as much lately because I get home late but I was out there a little earlier today and I saw him right in front of me grab my Americauna, which is one of the rare ones that has no bare spot, by her head feathers. she cried out and when she got away from him he had a long feather in his mouth which he dropped. This is when I realized she had a bare spot on the back of her head and it had to have happened recently as I do look them over. This really upset me. I think he tries to grab her to mate her and she won't allow it hence the head feathers gone not the back feathers.

They seem stressed to me now that I get to being honest. I thought that bare backs were pretty normal in most cases and had bought them saddles but some of them haven't even grown these feathers back yet. I know realize that he aint calming down and if it stays like this then the hens will always have to wear the saddles. That kinda uspets me too.
I have no need for a rooster really. Don't need fertile eggs as I can buy them, my hens are in a run so protection isn't horribly needed, and I don't eat them so... I think I have someone that will takehim for me. He has some hens himself. I hate doing this as I don't like giving up any animal but would it be best for the hens and everybody?

Also, i forgot to mention that he has started flogging which isn't one of my top concerns. I know I could handle that and have but this does add to the list. PLEASE give me your opinions.

I agree, he has to go. I had one that did the same thing and actually killed one of my older ladies by putting a hole in the back of her head. He was very aggressive mating with them ripping all their feathers out. They hated him and would scream and run away hiding most of the day. I now have a gentle loving roo that they LOVE and enjoy roaming around with. He takes very good care of them and makes sure they all get treats before eating himself. If he's that young and aggressive he'll only get worse.

I think some of them are clueless and over-energised at 10 months old. I had one like that and he calmed down some at 12 months. Yes they do crow alot when young, but now mine are 2 and they don't crow as much.

He flogs because he thinks he is alpha roo. He needs to be reminded that you are. Never take a step back. Always keep walking toward him and keep him moving. Nudge him along if need be. If he goes for a drink dont let him, etc. You dictate what he can and cannot do.

Or just get another roo. I'm very sensitive right now, as I lost my roo a few days ago.

Well...he MIGHT eventually calm down with the hens, but it might take MANY months (I'm not sure at what age they get out of that hormonal stage). And is the stress, wear, and possible injury to your hens worth it? I don't think so, especially since YOU'RE stressed about it (since you're writing, seeking advice, it's obvious this is bothering you. Since you don't NEED a rooster (and even if I did need one, I'd want one who was at least fairly gentle with the girls), I'd give him the boot, and quickly.

Back
Top Bottom