Rooster stays in coop and pecks me

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Compensation, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Compensation

Compensation Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2014
    My BA rooster has yet to leave the coop without grabbing him and putting him out there. I thought he was going to stay by my chickens side in case of predators, but instead is a home body. I don't know if this is normal or if he will run out to their rescue when needed.

Also he sometimes pecks me when I open the door. No blood yet just purple and red dots and marks on my hand. I noticed this is when I go to fill their feed which is the first thing I do when opening the door. I choose him out of the 5 roosters we had since he was a little more aggressive and his looks. So I figured I would have to deal with this issue at some point. When he does peck me I pick him up and hold him for 5-15 minutes or 5 minutes after his last attempt of escape from my arm.

Is there anything I am doing wrong or something I should be doing? Thanks!

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Well, if it were me .... it's time for the stew pot! Seriously, though, if you really really don't need this roo for breeding purposes I would cull him...getting a little too rough I'd say.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How old is he?
    How many hens/pullets do you have?
    Do they free range or are they confined to a run?
    You raised all these birds from day olds?

4. Compensation

Compensation Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2014

They are all 18-19 weeks old. Its him and 6 hens. They have a 6x8 coop and a 18x18 run plus the underside of the coop. I raised them from a few days old. They are my profile pic. I would love to let them roam but we have alot of hawks, buzzards, owls, foxes, coyotes, possums, raccoons, and skunks. Not including about 5 or 6 neighbors dogs.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It's very odd that he won't leave the coop...he doesn't leave the coop at all, ever?!
    Sounds like he's defending the coop from YOU, not a good sign.

There are ways to 'tame a rooster' but I personally don't abide by them, I believe that roosters are either bad or good(but the bad ones are delicious), so have no experience...but many folks do, so I would suggest that you do some searching here on BYC, there are plenty of long detailed threads discussing techniques.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by