Rooster Stays on Hen After Mating?

SeaSea47

Songster
7 Years
Mar 12, 2017
I have yet another rooster/cockerel question…but I’ve Googled and can’t find anything.

My Cochin rooster is about 6 months old, and the hens of the same age are finally maturing, so he’s doing a lot of mating. But after he’s done, he’s just standing on the hens for long periods of time. I try not to interfere, but I’m afraid he’s gonna hurt them, so if he does it too long I squirt him with the hose. Is this normal? Should I interfere?

At six months, this cockerel is just a rank beginner with no technique or manners. You would do well to limit his access to the hens as he learns to adjust to the sensation of a flood of hormones which color how he relates to everything. By the time he's a year old, he will have settled in much more than at present.

Remaining on top of the hen after mating is completed is an act of dominance. This is an individual quirk of temperament which may mellow as he matures.

At six months, this cockerel is just a rank beginner with no technique or manners. You would do well to limit his access to the hens as he learns to adjust to the sensation of a flood of hormones which color how he relates to everything. By the time he's a year old, he will have settled in much more than at present.

Remaining on top of the hen after mating is completed is an act of dominance. This is an individual quirk of temperament which may mellow as he matures.
Right after I posted this, he went and chest-bumped my dad's leg. Sigh.

When you say limit his access, would separating him next to their run be a good idea?

I actually have two six-month-old cockerels, but the other one who was the wilder of the two has actually calmed down a bit - he matured quicker than anyone in my flock They spent about a week in November fighting, but now they just knock each other off certain hens. Should I separate both?

I have two mature roosters, both gentlemen and well mannered, yet they have limited access to the hens. The way I do it is the boys have their own coop section and dedicated run. During the day most days, the boys can range freely out of their run and return at will if they desire shelter.

On occasion, maybe for an hour or so in the afternoon, I let some of the younger hens out to free range with the roosters. This way, the hens, usually older ones, that would rather not have contact with the roosters are protected, and I also keep back a few hens that are known to be rooster feather pickers. This protects the roosters from being deplumed.

I've had years of trial and error to come up with an easy rooster management plan. But when I began keeping chickens, I was suddenly presented with two cockerels who not only wished to kill each other, they weren't all that terrific with the hens, either. I didn't have separate living quarters at the time for the boys, so they were spending the daytime free ranging, and at night they'd roost with the hens.

The objective is to safely segregate the roosters to decrease wear and tear on the hens. The roosters suffer no ill effects of being denied direct access to the hens, and they are content to watch the hens through a fence, which requires little space if you want to dedicate a small enclosure adjacent to the main run for the roosters.

I have two mature roosters, both gentlemen and well mannered, yet they have limited access to the hens. The way I do it is the boys have their own coop section and dedicated run. During the day most days, the boys can range freely out of their run and return at will if they desire shelter.

On occasion, maybe for an hour or so in the afternoon, I let some of the younger hens out to free range with the roosters. This way, the hens, usually older ones, that would rather not have contact with the roosters are protected, and I also keep back a few hens that are known to be rooster feather pickers. This protects the roosters from being deplumed.

I've had years of trial and error to come up with an easy rooster management plan. But when I began keeping chickens, I was suddenly presented with two cockerels who not only wished to kill each other, they weren't all that terrific with the hens, either. I didn't have separate living quarters at the time for the boys, so they were spending the daytime free ranging, and at night they'd roost with the hens.

The objective is to safely segregate the roosters to decrease wear and tear on the hens. The roosters suffer no ill effects of being denied direct access to the hens, and they are content to watch the hens through a fence, which requires little space if you want to dedicate a small enclosure adjacent to the main run for the roosters.
Thanks for the suggestions. I may end up separating both of them with their own little coop/run next to the main one. I don't have anything set up right now, but I can in the next week or so

I have ducks too, and our schedule is that the ducks free-range during the morning, and I put them back in their pen around 1, and the chickens get the rest of the day, but these boys are stressing me out. I actually have a good chicken ratio and a bad duck ratio, and the drakes are more well-behaved than the cockerels right now (they're a few months older).

I have yet another rooster/cockerel question…but I’ve Googled and can’t find anything.

My Cochin rooster is about 6 months old, and the hens of the same age are finally maturing, so he’s doing a lot of mating. But after he’s done, he’s just standing on the hens for long periods of time. I try not to interfere, but I’m afraid he’s gonna hurt them, so if he does it too long I squirt him with the hose. Is this normal? Should I interfere?
It...happens...quite often actually.
Try not to worry, it's an act of dominance from the immature 6-month-olds. 😉

Back
Top Bottom