1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Rooster still breeding?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sbrown, Jan 14, 2014.

1. sbrown

sbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2013
    Cartersville
    I have an Ameraucana roo and a few hens. A few months ago I also had a buff orpington. They were overbreeding the hens so I had to get rid of one. They seemed to compete and the Ameraucana would run the other one off any time he could . But since I got rid of the Buff I haven't visually seen him breed a hen. This worries me since I am planning on hatching eggs soon. He is supposed to be only a couple years old. Any ideas?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Do a forum search on 'bulls eye fertility'. Locate threads showing the appearance of fertile eggs, and then check to see if yours are fertile.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I hardly ever see my older roosters mate, yet every egg has a bullseye. I think they're just calmer, and don't have the urge to cover each hen several times a day, so I don't notice. I agree with Sourland, if you've got bullseyes you're fertile. You can also test incubate and see what grows.

4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    That is why I keep telling new BYC people to give that 5 months old rooster time to grow up. Hyper sexuality is just part and parcel of being a teenage rooster.

5. sbrown

Feb 3, 2013
    Cartersville
    [​IMG] Here is a pic of 3 eggs I just collected. I don't think they are fertile.

6. sbrown

Feb 3, 2013
    Cartersville
    [​IMG]

7. wsmith

wsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Doesn't look like fertilized eggs to me. Sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by