Rooster still sickly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by krakill, Mar 30, 2016.

1. krakill

krakill New Egg

Mar 23, 2016
    Central Florida
    Hi all. My rooster is still sickly. I have wormed everyone, given them 3 days worth of electrolytes & probiotics in their water, given him B12 in his water for 2 other days, given him a bath & dusted him, cleaned & bleached the coop & treated it with poultry dust & DE, made them a dust bath, given him egg yolks with vitamin E & have started everyone on ACV & garlic in their water but my little man is still not gaining any strength. I've had him in the house for the last 5 days but after I did all that to the coop, I'm trying him outside. But I just went out there & he was still on the floor. I'm assuming he doesn't have the strength to fly up to the roost. What else can I possibly do for him?? See my other posts for the whole story but please please give me suggestions! Help!

2. EmmC

EmmC Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2016
    Vermont
    It seems like you have done a lot for him. I can't really think of anything else to do, but I have never had any problems like this before. I am sure that there is something, but I'm not sure what. Good luck!

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old is he? How much is he eating and drinking? What do his droppings look like? I would keep him inside a little longer. Have you considered treating him for coccidiosis? You can use Corid for that in his water for 5 days, or use a sulfa antibiotic such as Sulmet or Sulfadimethoxine (/Dimethox) which will treat severe strains of cocci and other intestinal infections. You can try tube feeding him if he won't eat. Here is a good thread about that:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by