Rooster still weak, but eating a lot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chicklinz, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Chicklinz

Chicklinz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    My rooster has been ill for about a month now. It has been a very slow decline, yet he is still eating a lot and drinking as normal. He is very skinny though. I gave him wazine about 3 weeks ago thinking he had worms. With no improvement after a week I started him on duramycin. Still no improvement. His poop is of a normal consistency and is a greenish brown color. He is just very very weak. He stumbles around and looses his balance easily. I gave him a bath. I've put vaseline on his legs just in case he had mites, I also put oil in his ears in case he had mites in there. I don't see anything on him. His comb is red and his eyes look normal. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with him? If he had a bacteria infection would his poop look normal? He was gaping when I got home from work. He did it a couple of times. He hasn't done it before, so I am not sure if this was just a fluke thing or not. I was hoping I could help him without taking him to a vet as it will be expensive. I don't have a vet who specializes in birds or chickens etc...so he is considered "exotic". I may have to take him in though since I just can't stand seeing him suffer. I want to help him! He has always been a favorite (very sweet nature) [​IMG]

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Wazine only gets rid of roundworms. After 14 days you should worm him again with a broad spectrum wormer- I believe it's Valbazen you want. I use different products, so I am not really familiar with these wormers. He could still be loaded with worms, just not roundworms.

3. coltssuperbowl83

coltssuperbowl83 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Kingsville
    is he molting?

4. Chicklinz

Oct 4, 2011
    Yes he is molting. Would that make him weak enough for him to have balance issues?

5. tigerrrrrrrlilly

tigerrrrrrrlilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Mites and lice can live on his body, not just feet and ears, have you tried dusting him with sevin dust?

6. Chicklinz

Oct 4, 2011
    Well I bought some poultry spray that is harmless to chickens but kills mites, lice, and fleas. I sprayed him with that. I have dusted the coop with Sevin. I sprayed the walls with orange guard. I gave him a bath too. I looked through his feathers and didn't see anything there. I am pretty sure it isn't mites. I just don't see any evidence of them anywhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by