1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster stolen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Aloha Moa, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Aloha Moa

Aloha Moa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 25, 2007
    It turns out that my only rooster, the red junglefowl that I have posted pictures of here on this forum, was stolen last night when the chickens raised the alarm.

I have 4 hens and 10 chicks, one of the hens is broody, and I don't know who's more upset, me or the hens. They're beside themselves, very anxious.

So sad.

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    I definately feel for you Aloha. Wasn't that many weeks ago some one stole all my Blue Orpingtons. Now I can't find any to replace them. :thun

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

That is ridiculous... people stealing birds like that. Call the police if you have leads and gees, it's time to microchip your birds, dead bolt the runs and put on wing tags that grow into the birds wings!

4. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    When you are able to replace your Jungle Fowl, you may need to keep him under lock and key. Sad thing when people resort to stealing someone's animals.

5. SkeeredChicken

SkeeredChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Orlando, Florida
    Yeah, that is pathetic. I'm definately gonna put a door with a lock on my coop. Dig my fence for the run down about a foot. If anyone tries to steal my chickens, they're gonna have to leave alotta evidence.

So, aloha. This other acre that you saw this dude on, was it yours or his? I know that some times when something wanders on to someone else's land, then they can do what they want with it. However, if it can be proven it was a lure situation, maybe there could be something done.

6. MarkR

MarkR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2007
    Ivy, Virginia
    Judging from other posts you've made, you know who took him. Call the police. Tell them the whole story. Sorry you have to put up with wacko neighbors. Keep after him. It brings to mind something my grandmother taught me. . . avoid a fight when you can, but if you have to, stay in it until one of you doesn't get up. I'm not advocating actually attacking the man, but keep the pressure on him until you get a result you can live with. Maybe if he comes back you can get pictures of him or any "presents" he leaves you.

Mark

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

That's really awful!
    Well, you know WHY the bird was stolen...one of those topics that we can't discuss.
    It's now time to get law enforcement involved...even if you can't PROVE it, they'll know who to go to the NEXT time a bird goes missing.

8. CashmereSussex

CashmereSussex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    maybe that guy you saw trying to lure your hens because if the roo is gone they will go more easily

9. Aloha Moa

Mar 25, 2007
    I will post pix I took today.

Believe it or not, I DID call the police, and two cops in two cars showed up, went to the nearest neighbor to investigate, and then came back to tell me they had a lead on the guy in another neighborhood and they were going to follow up on it! I could not believe the police were willing to spend their time on one stolen rooster. I was so pleased. I think it's because the neighbors told him this "guy" wasn't welcome at their house either. I know this "guy" is not nearby because I'd hear my rooster crow if he was.

The good news is I found where my latest broody hen is nesting! It took weeks, but following another member's advice, I discreetly followed her into the jungle, and it took me a good half hour to find her, and when you see the nest you'll see why it took so long:
    Can you spot the white hen in this picture?
    [​IMG]

And here's a picture of two hens and six chicks. These poor 4 hens - they are all a-flutter. I can really see the value of having a rooster around = the hens feel much more comfortable and protected. Four hens to 1 rooster seemed the perfect ratio [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have 11 chicks, at least one of which will grow up to be a fine cock, and more chicks on the way, so I'm not going to spend any more time grieving.

10. Aloha Moa

Mar 25, 2007
    Quote:So sorry to hear that. Do you want some of my chicks? Mostly red junglefowl - gallus gallus plus some. I'd be happy to figure out how to get them to you if you want some.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by