Rooster stoped crowing and no longer wants to eat?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by elizabethjg, Feb 12, 2017.

1. elizabethjg

elizabethjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2016
    Texas
    [​IMG]
    My sweet RIR rooster Fig will turn a year on Easter. This is a photo of him when he felt well, but he is very sick now and it is scaring me. He crows about once a week now, constantly has neon green diarrhoea, holds his tail low, doesn’t really want to eat, drinks a lot, and has become very friendly (He used to never come up to us when we were in the yard giving the ladies treats, but now he walks right over to us and practically stands on our feet). Also, he is always holding his wings away from his body like he is hot and his shanks are hot to the touch, but none of the other chickens even look hot. He is loosing weight and his big comb has shrunken a little and is starting to lean to the side. PLEASE HELP

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I ask this question a lot and because I have had as many at 1200+ chickens at one time. I have seen this a lot---all kind of sickness, but my biggest problems were worms. Does his body weight feel light or good for his size? When is the last time you wormed him? What are you giving him for medicine?

3. elizabethjg

Mar 27, 2016
    Texas
    I have noticed he has slimmed out a bit. He is still at about 8 pounds, but I can feel way less muscle in his breast. I have never wormed him because we have never had a problem with them in my flock of 15. I forgot to mention this in the first post, but he had some pretty bad wheezing when I first noticed he was ill, and feed store told us it was the start of pneumonia so we had him on antibiotics they gave us for three days. The wheezing went away but all other symptoms are still there.

4. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Well if you have gave him the antibiotic, then I would worm-----I would go in the coop tonight and feel all the chickens breast/weight and if all feel under weight I would worm the whole flock----if they all feel good but him. I would put him by himself and worm with a wormer that will kill all worms as well as Tape Worms---No Wazine will not touch a tape worm.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Since he has been wheezing, he may have a respiratory disease such as mycoplasma (MG) or others. Have you noticed any watery or foamy eye, nasal drainage, or sneezing? Can you take him to a vet soon? What antibiotic did you use? Tylan 50 injectable is good for some bacterial respiratory diseases, and found at most feed stores. Tylan 200 is good too, but 4 times stronger and more expensive. Some diseases come from viruses, some are bacterial, and some from molds and fungus. Winter cold temperatures can bring in symptoms especially if the air circulation in the coop is not adequate, if it is dusty, or wet and moldy. I can give you a dosage for Tylan if you wish. It can be given by injection or given orally, but may work faster by injection.

6. PD-Riverman

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Tylan50 has pulled many of my sick chickens through the sickness and back to good health---I always put 1ml in the back of the mouth and do that for several days---usually 3. Good Stuff

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  7. elizabethjg

Mar 27, 2016
    Texas
    We gave him the Tylan and it has helped a lot with the wheezing. There isn’t any drainage from eyes or nose, and we really aren’t in the position to take him to he vet [​IMG]. We are in southern Texas so it is an average of 70 to 80 degrees everyday. The circulation is not a problem, so I really don’t know the cause.

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Without the other symptoms I would look at dust or mold, but he could wheeze from other reasons, such as something in his throat, a heart or liver problem, but I really don't have a food answer. Just continue the Tylan and make sure that he is drinking normally.

9. elizabethjg

Mar 27, 2016
    Texas
    Heart or liver problem? He's a young bird, so what would cause problems there? BTW, thank you for the info.

10. Yemimah

Yemimah Out Of The Brooder

Feb 12, 2017
    I would also totally clean the coop and yard as a top priority! You can lime the yard with hydrated lime or you could change to a new yard. I would also scrub all the feeders and waters with soap and water. Rinse well then after that rinse in bleach water

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by