Rooster stopped crowing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickendude, Nov 2, 2010.

1. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    I hatched out 2 eggs on July 1st to add to my small flock. The result was 1 pullet and one cockerel. I had them separated from the flock until they were 4 months old and big enough to enter the flock without too much abuse being inflicted upon them from the older established flock, The cockerel started crowing at about 6 weeks old. He crowed all the time when separated from the flock. I introduced the 2 newbies to the flock and they became low on the pecking order and he stopped all crowing. They are now 4 months old. Has this ever happened to anybody else? and when do you think he might start crowing again? My wife hopes he never starts again. [​IMG]

2. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Is there an older rooster in your flock? That might stop a young rooster from crowing. My young roos won't crow until I separate them from the older roos.

3. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    No older roo. I think he is still intimidated by the older girls.

4. Coreyboy18

Coreyboy18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Quote:What I would give to stop mine from crowing! Haha! I was waiting for him to start and now I guess I am waiting for him to stop! LoL

5. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Quote:What I would give to stop mine from crowing! Haha! I was waiting for him to start and now I guess I am waiting for him to stop! LoL

Trust me I'm not complaining. I just re-homed the father of this roo so I know al about the constant crowing. I just found it strange that he crowed all the time before I introduced him to the flock.

6. bobby d

bobby d Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Texas
    I think it's normal and just pecking order, even though he's a roo. I added 3 newbies to my laying pen, 2 hens and 1 roo and they are about 5 mos old now. I have 3 older girls in there about 1 1/2 yrs old. Anyhow, he just started crowing before we put him in the pen now nothing. The older girls didn't like it and would peck him and now he doesn't crow at all. He probably will start back up when he gets bigger. I feel sorry for the poor lil guy but that's his pen so that's where he has to stay. Hope this helps!!

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Here, take one of mine namely Impy. He's crowing his fool head off right now and it's still pitch black out. He's undoubtably seeing the light from the house and wondering what this silly human is doing awake at this ungodly hour.

Seriously, when your young cockerel was crowing constantly, he was more than likely communicating with the flock he could hear but not see. When he gains his manhood, he'll probably start right back up again.
    My adult roo is not crowing at all right now because he's in a molt. Birds in molt are not in top condition and no sense sending out challenges (crows) if you can't back them up.

8. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Thanks for the replies. I feel, him being low on the pecking order now is the reason for stopping his crowing. He is as big as the RIR hens now and he is only a bit over 4 months old. So he will be much bigger than the hens and probably gain control of the flock and start crowing again.

9. chickendude

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Well he finally started crowing at 0600 hrs this morning!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by