Rooster stopped crowing!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pfd, Dec 16, 2010.

1. pfd

pfd Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2009
    Alabama
    We had a real cold spell (5 degrees at night with windchill) here for a couple weeks and I noticed that my rooster isn't crowing anymore. He sounds horrid. Is it possible that he has a cold? Ed is acting fine and his other verbal noises sound normal. Also the 2 chickens I brought home 4 weeks ago (one may be a roo but I'm hoping he is a she [​IMG] ) https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=423316 are still not laying and Ed, the rooster, isn't looking at either one of the two. Is that normal? I have milk crates as nesting boxes and they use the dog house instead to sleep in.

2. fl_deb

fl_deb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    It could be that the young roo put your original roo on notice i.e. one more crow out of you bud and I'm just gonna have to show you who IS THE BOSS![​IMG]

3. pfd

pfd Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2009
    Alabama
    Interesting thought but the "new" rooster acts more like the hen does. Even sounds like a hen. The old one could care less about wither one of the 2 new ones. But then again ... I'm a newbie [​IMG]

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Your new multicolored bird is most certainly a ROO.

New roo has put old roo on notice.

Now you have peace and quiet.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:What he said ^^^^

6. pfd

pfd Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2009
    Alabama
    Thank you all. I have a lot to learn. My old roo was getting very agressive with me coming in. He still is but cooled his jets a little. That was the reason I got 2 more chickens for company. All 3 act like they have been together for years. No fights, no nothing. Do I have to consider getting rid of the 2nd rooster even if if I get another hen?

7. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    Maybe your roo just doesn't have anything to crow about...[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  8. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Wow, I had to be the oops one here. But did you quarantine those 2 new birds? They may be survivors of a respiratory disease and are now carriers. And it's been shared with Ed, as well as any other chickens you have. I ask because the only time I had a rooster stop crowing was a several years ago. He was fine for 2-3 weeks, just couldn't crow. Then he started showing signs of respiratory distress and the vet recommended Terramycin for all of them, in the water.

He died a few days later, all the others lived. I don't know that the Terramycin was the proper treatment, so I'd suggest you do a search for hoarse rooster, no crow rooster and such to see if you can get some solid advice.

9. pfd

pfd Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2009
    Alabama
    I have to admit that I did not even think about quarantine when I got the 2 new ones. I guess because I only had a rooster and a duck and it didn't cross my mind. The 2 new ones are fine though so I'm hoping it's nothing serious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by