Rooster stopped crowing

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by alston83, Nov 26, 2013.

1. alston83

alston83 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2012
    I have a Tolbunt Polish rooster that is not crowing. When he first started crowing, it was real rasping, almost sounded like a teenager who's voice is changing. I just noticed today that he is trying to crow but can't. He stretches his neck, opens his mouth, but no noise. Please help with any ideas or suggestions.

2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
  3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It could also be that he just doesn't have his crowing down yet. I've seen some of mine stretch to crow and nothing comes out.

4. hungnguyen

hungnguyen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2013
    Normally there are 3 reasons for crowing sound not coming out.
    1. Tape worm: .. just like discussed above. Bird stretches his neck due to worm and this is not crowing. Just take care of the worm issue and he won't stretch his neck any more.
    2. Bird too young: When they learn to crow, sometimes there is sound, sometimes there is not. Time will get them crowing better.
    3. illness: When getting sick (cold, fever, malnoutrition etc.), the health greatly affects the force of the air, even an adult bird has trouble producing the normal strong tone. Just take care of the illness and things will become normal again.

5. alston83

alston83 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2012
    I have moved him inside out of the cold and rain.I've noticed a noise sounding like a cough a few times. I have given him a dose of ivermectin, and will do so again in a couple of days. A breeder that I know said to break a 500mg amoxicillin and give him a 1/4 of it mixed with something he likes, and give it to him twice a day. He has had two doses of antibiotic. Thanks for the ideas, but does it sound like I am giving the proper treatments?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by