rooster stressing hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jsargent, Oct 20, 2007.

1. jsargent

jsargent New Egg

Oct 20, 2007
    I have 16 buff orpingtons 15 hens 1 rooster(about 24 weeks old). The rooster is always trying to mate, but this is causing some of the hens not to return to the coop at night. I have to pick them up a place them on perches in the coop or the rooster will go right a them.
    I don't want to kill him because I want to incubate next spring. What can I do? Will he grow out of this behavior?

2. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    I really don't know. It might be that he is immature. Can you separate him from the ones(hens) he is stressing? Are your hens fairly young. I would think older more experienced hens could deal with him. 15 hens to a roo is probably well enough for him to handle. Maybe others here has more experince with this that me. He sounds like a teen-ager that has suddenly found himself locked in a brothel LOL.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Thats what roosters do...I'm not sure its the reason their not coming back to the coop tho, when its dusk they should be returning to roost even if he is....he is doing what a rooster does...my rooster always trys to mate with a few hens right before dark...some just wait til he hits the roost before they come into the henhouse...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by