Rooster struggling to walk toes curled in

Kaiyafitness

Chirping
Apr 17, 2021
Hi everyone,

I’ve got a rooster who started showing a limp a couple days ago which progressed into him struggling to walk so I brought him inside to keep him warm with food and water.

Upon some research I had a look at his legs and feet which there is no swelling or sign of injury, and also bent the hock to see if his legs were paralysed and the toes curled in as he was perching, and he can still move his legs and toes such as with gripping my finger.

It is quite apparent that he struggles to walk but often sits with his legs further in front and toes curled inwards, I saw online this may be due to a vitamin b deficiency or mareks (hopefully not mareks) and would appreciate any guidance on his treatment.

Other then this issue he is a happy rooster, eating and drinking normally and very sociable with me. He does have runny poos however and a dirty vent. No leg mites. He can get around with a couple falls and lack of balance, but he’s certainly not good enough to be put back with his flock

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks in advance and I’ve attached the photo of what his feet sometimes look like (he can move them back to normal) and also a poo as it looks like there’s a larvae in it, it’s moving ?

Attachments

• 7B88C85F-19B9-4E92-AC5D-8C2569C80EB8.jpeg
    7B88C85F-19B9-4E92-AC5D-8C2569C80EB8.jpeg
    495.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 252AA875-48A3-4A21-B3A0-98AD3427D42E.jpeg
    252AA875-48A3-4A21-B3A0-98AD3427D42E.jpeg
    346.2 KB · Views: 28
Is he a Silkie? How old is he? Is it winter at your location?

Get a vitamin B complex with the highest proportions you can find. Look in the vitamin aisle at the store. This isn't found at feed stores. Give him one tablet daily directly in the beak.

It would also be wise to give him vitamin E400iu, one per day along with the B-complex. Get some selenium and shave a tiny bit off a pill, about 25mg, and give with the E.

It may take three to four weeks to see improvement.

Is he a Silkie? How old is he? Is it winter at your location?

Get a vitamin B complex with the highest proportions you can find. Look in the vitamin aisle at the store. This isn't found at feed stores. Give him one tablet daily directly in the beak.

It would also be wise to give him vitamin E400iu, one per day along with the B-complex. Get some selenium and shave a tiny bit off a pill, about 25mg, and give with the E.

It may take three to four weeks to see improvement.

Yes he is a silkie and he is 6 months old, yes it is winter here (New Zealand). Can I use human b vitamin complexes? And human vitamin e or only ones intended for poultry. Does the selenium need to be from a tablet or would the amount in an egg be enough.

Thank you so much !

Yes he is a silkie and he is 6 months old, yes it is winter here (New Zealand). Can I use human b vitamin complexes? And human vitamin e or only ones intended for poultry. Does the selenium need to be from a tablet or would the amount in an egg be enough.

Thank you so much !
Vitamin B is very safe and you can give human doses.
I had a chick with curly toe paralysis and gave her super high doses of B2 every day. Each time I reduced it she lost the use of one leg or the other.
Now she is fine!

Thank you so much !

He has not been wormed before, but I’ve worked him after seeing the worms in his poo and will also worm the whole flock again
You saw worms in his poop? Tapeworms?
You will need Praziquantel to treat Tapeworms.

What do you feed, including treats?

I would try vitamin therapy and see that he's eating chick starter or an all flock feed. If he's eating layer feed, then get some extra protein into him (fish, eggs, meat).

You can use human vitamins. 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily. Egg, tuna or sunflower seeds will provide sufficient selenium for the uptake of E.

People vitamins are chicken vitamins and also dog, cat vitamins as all vitamins are the same. It's just the form that may differ. People vitamins you buy at a pharmacy are just easier and more efficient than struggling with powders and potions from a feed store.

I expect him to respond well to the vitamin therapy, but be patient as the progress could be a bit slow. Or fast. He could surprise us.

Vitamin B is very safe and you can give human doses.
I had a chick with curly toe paralysis and gave her super high doses of B2 every day. Each time I reduced it she lost the use of one leg or the other.
Now she is fine!
Okay thank you so much for your response :)

Back
Top Bottom