Rooster suddenly almost completely blind

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by columbiacritter, Jul 23, 2010.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    We have a rooster we got as an adult so we don't know his age, but he seems to have gone almost completely blind suddenly. He seemed very listless for a few day so we treated him with anti-bs. Now he's moving around his pen but it's real obvious he can't see anythign smaller than the coop or their large feeder. When I throw treats out he gets really excited and runs around trying to see them, but can't. The only way for him to focus on a treat is to find a hen by sound and peck around her head end and he's not always choosing the right end.

We are giving him time to see if he improves, but would sure like to know what could have caused this. Old age? Stroke? A disease?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Could be eyeworm, it can cause blindness. Type 'eyeworm' in the search box and it'll take you to posts regarding eyeworm and see if the symptoms are alike.

3. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    Quote:No swelling or discharge around his eyes at all, but I will have my husband catch him again tonight to double check. We also don't have the imtermediary host eye worms seem to require, thank god no raoches here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by