Rooster suddenly has swollen face and wattles

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Larkspur88, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    He was not swollen this morning. Looked like he was starting to and I bathed him regardless. He's had cocci and had some crossbars on his butt. Well his face seemed to be getting worse and I gave him a Baytril tablet and plan to start him on a week of Baytril. (I have some left from when he was attacked by dogs a month ago) well just checked on him before leaving to go to dinner and his face is severely swollen and is not beginning to swell in his wattles!!

I figure he has a sinus issue or URI but this happened so fast too I was tempted to give him a little benadryl.

Oh and I noticed his skin around his beak seems to be bleeding from the stretching? No obvious wounds or lumps. Just bleeding a tad in a few locations.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
  3. TedJan92_in_Idaho

TedJan92_in_Idaho Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Cocolalla Idaho
    Sure he didn't get stung?

4. Larkspur88

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    No other clinical signs other than a bit pale and not 100% himself. I doubt he was stung. He's been recuperating from cocci and has been living in an enclosed garage. Oh, but he is a tad hunkered down and has been, shakes his head a little, and is still eating as best he can. He had what may be a little nasal discharge dried on his beak before bathed.

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Has there been any weight loss or rattling in his chest/lungs? If so, I recommend dosing him with sulmet. If there isnt any weight loss nor rattling, I recommend dosing with childrens liquid benedryl, 1/2ml in case it's a sting or spider bite. Wait 24 hours before redosing with 1/2ml childrens liquid benedryl.

6. Larkspur88

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    He's had weight loss and has been on sulmet.

No rattling or coughing or sneezing. This morning he did have a brief time outside and was eating mealworms and cheetos his fave treats... I suppose he did have an opportunity to be stung

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Ok, after reading your post #4, shaking head and a little discharge on the nostril changes things. Have you inspected him for lice/mites? If he's clear of external parasites, I would suspect a respiratory problem.

8. Larkspur88

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    I'll check his temperature and such when I go home. He doesn't have external parasites.

9. Larkspur88

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    He has a 105.3 temperature. Seems to be feeling yucky. [​IMG] he said hi to me but had a hard time getting up

10. Larkspur88

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    I pulled out his mealworms treats and he leapt to his feet and acted like he was feeling okay to an extent. He is tough as nails. He ate all I offered him. Gave him benadryl for good measure. And found out he wasn't drinking his water because it tasted bad!!! I put out fresh water with syrup and let him taste the fresh water and boom...that tasted great apparently. Ill recheck his temp later.

Thanks everyone for the help thus far. I hope he just has a minor URI and it will go away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by