Rooster survives a rattlesnake attack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by carondesign, Oct 30, 2011.

1. carondesign

carondesign Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    We need a rattlesnake picture under predators because I have had a nightmare with rattlers this year. I have had 4 chickens bitten by rattlers and 3 died. I do not know how to post pics but you can view the pics of my Australorp and his wound (rattlesnake bite in the breast muscle) plus treatment at
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    [​IMG] from Ga. WOW that was a nasty wound. I am so sorry about the 3 you lost. And that your Rooster made it. Hope he is doing better now.
  3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Wow! What a lucky guy! It is amazing that a dry strike could still do so much damage. I hope he continues to improve.

Good luck.

PS- I am so glad I don't have to deal with snakes. I'll take the frigid New England winters and the 20 inches of snow I got last night to avoid the snakes. I don't care for snakes. I don't hate them. I just don't like them overmuch.
  4. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    [​IMG] OMG! That is horrible. Sure hope he recovers.
  5. toysmom

toysmom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2011
    Wound looks awful. I sorry about the 3 you lost, but I am glad your rooster made it. I hope he is doing better now.
  6. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

That is awful! [​IMG] So far the rattle snakes have left my chickens alone. I did have to catch this one and relocate it because I was afraid the grandchildren might be in danger when playing out in the yard [​IMG]

7. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    what did you do with it ? [​IMG]
  8. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I was home alone and my indoor Bengal cat alerted me that this big rattle snake was at the front of the house (he could see it through the window) so I got a bucket and a long pole and laid the bucket down and used the pole to push it into the bucket. It came back out 2 times as I tipped the bucket back up and on the 3rd try I got it to stay in the bucket. I covered the bucket with a towel and when my husband came home he took it across the creek and let it go where people don't usually go. The snake was not aggressive and only rattled a little when it was trapped in the bucket, otherwise we would have had to kill it.
  9. carondesign

carondesign Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    My Australorp cockeral is doing good today, he is one lucky bird.
  10. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] That is a nasty wound! He should be named Super Roo!

Seriously though, I am glad he is recovering. I am noticing Australorps are generally tough. I had one roo recover from a being completely scalped and a skull fracture. I was going to cull but something about him made me hold off. I am glad I did. My toughest hen is an Australorp too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by