Rooster swollen eyelid question (non emergency)

Ryguy3684

Here comes the Rooster
Premium Feather Member
May 29, 2020
Fauquier County, Virginia, United States.
I think my 6 month old BO rooster got a little too frisky with one of the hens. He got his comb and eyelid cut. I put blu kote on his comb and it's doing fine. His eyeball is fine. The cut on his eye lid, with neosporin, is healing, but it's swollen and keeps getting stuck closed. We flush the eye with saline until it can open, every morning. It's been 3 days. My question is, how long does it take before his eye stops crusting over?

It sounds like there might be some type of infection going on. You can try putting Terramycin eye ointment in the eye, or neosporin in a pinch. You should see improvement in 5-7 days. If not, you might have to get him started on an antibiotic such as Doxycycline.
untitledter.png

It sounds like there might be some type of infection going on. You can try putting Terramycin eye ointment in the eye, or neosporin in a pinch. You should see improvement in 5-7 days. If not, you might have to get him started on an antibiotic such as Doxycycline.
View attachment 2347518
Thanks, I'll get some of that. We've been using neosporin. It's only been 3 days, so i might be jumping the gun. It's less swollen than when we started.

I swear by hypochloric acid for eye issues. I like it because it helps with the inflammation aspect as well as infection. There are a bunch of different brands. Ocusoft, Avinova & active are all ones I’ve used successfully.

Back
Top Bottom