Rooster Tail Bleeding & Feathers missing, hens won't stop pecking at it, How can I get him to heal?

Sep 21, 2020
We have 5 older hens roughly 2 years old & 10 younger hens 6 months old. 2 weeks ago, we decided to re-home 2 of our roosters that were very aggressive toward us or the hens. We kept just this one. The younger hens seem very aggressive almost like bullies toward the older hens. 5 nights ago, I found my only rooster bleeding from his tail & some of his tail feathers missing. I removed him from the coop, put him on antibiotics mixed in his water, & coated his wounds with nystatin cream. After a few days, he stopped bleeding & scabbed over so I allowed him to free range with the hens today. This evening I found him bleeding worse & more tail feathers missing. The color in his comb, beard & face is not as bright red as usual. The hens wouldn't stop chasing him around & pecking the area. He is now completely separated from the hens with antibiotics in his water & coated with nystatin cream, that'sthe yucky stuff you see in the pic on his wounds. What else can I do to promote healing? Is there a better cream or spray I can use? How long should I keep him separated to avoid anymore picking from the ladies. Any help would be appreciated! This guy, Storm, has had a bad year. In March, he was attacked by a coyote & had 2 broken legs. I rehabilitated him & got him healed & walking again. I really don't want to loose him! I have alot invested in him & he's my only rooster now. I just don't understand what even caused this unless the aggressive hens got stressed when we re-homed the other 2 roosters, so they decided to harass him. Not sure what to do now to get him healed & avoid this issue again once he returns to the coop.

Attachments

• 20200921_221401.jpg
    20200921_221401.jpg
    587.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 20200921_221422.jpg
    20200921_221422.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200921_221520.jpg
    20200921_221520.jpg
    672.7 KB · Views: 15
Separate him for now, and spray with vetrycin, and clean with warm water in a spray bottle. Put him inside somewhere, were flies won't get in the wound, and apply Neosporin, or another antibacterial ointment. Dont wrap it, and ounce it begins to heal its self, then spray with Vetrycin daily, to promote feature growth. Don't let him with the others until it is fully healed, or practically healed, and sprayed with Blue note, or another dark colored spray, to hide the wound. Good luck, Avery

I do not have any of either. It would be tomorrow before I could acquire some. 😔
Clean with warm water for now, and clip features away from the wound, and apply antibacterial ointment. Vetrycin should always be on hand, for and kind of wound or injury. Definitely separate him though, to a dog crate or something in the house, to keep flies out. That is the best you can do for now. Good job, Avery

Separate him for now, and spray with vetrycin, and clean with warm water in a spray bottle. Put him inside somewhere, were flies won't get in the wound, and apply Neosporin, or another antibacterial ointment. Dont wrap it, and ounce it begins to heal its self, then spray with Vetrycin daily, to promote feature growth. Don't let him with the others until it is fully healed, or practically healed, and sprayed with Blue note, or another dark colored spray, to hide the wound. Good luck, Avery
Thank you for the info! Can I get Vetrycin or Blue Note at a local Tractor Supply or feed store?

Clean with warm water for now, and clip features away from the wound, and apply antibacterial ointment. Vetrycin should always be on hand, for and kind of wound or injury. Definitely separate him though, to a dog crate or something in the house, to keep flies out. That is the best you can do for now. Good job, Avery
I have him inside in a dog kennel now. I have doctored it with anitbacterial ointment. I will definitely be getting Vetrycin tomorrow. Thank you!

Yes, welcome to BYC. Chickens will pick at anything red. Blu-Kote will certainly help. Keep him separated but in sight of the hens until it scabs over, then keep sprayed with Blu-Kote. Keep a close eye on him, watching for any pecking, then separate him again immediately. Also, as stated above, protect him from flies. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom