Rooster tail feather issues

MamaHawk

Hatching
Dec 30, 2015

So here's my roosters tail feathers. All the skin around his tail nub looks chapped and bloody, but this patch is the worst.

At first I assumed this was stress-preening as we've been having to keep our birds inside because of the recent weather, but there was no blood on his beak this morning and his tail was fine yesterday. I've checked for mites and he has none; he still eats, drinks and dances around the hens.

Advice?

That's the whole rooster. The injury in the picture is at the base of his tail nub.

He still has all his tail feathers, there's just blood and chapped skin at the base of them.

Sorry if the picture's bad... (゜▽゜;)

Last edited:

That's the whole rooster. The injury in the picture is at the base of his tail nub.

He still has all his tail feathers, there's just blood and chapped skin at the base of them.

Sorry if the picture's bad... (゜▽゜;)
The picture is fine
It seems like a quil feather broke and he picked at it not really sure.
You should put raw honey on it to heal the wound
it will be gone in no time
Has he been getting pecked on?

So here's my roosters tail feathers. All the skin around his tail nub looks chapped and bloody, but this patch is the worst.

At first I assumed this was stress-preening as we've been having to keep our birds inside because of the recent weather, but there was no blood on his beak this morning and his tail was fine yesterday. I've checked for mites and he has none; he still eats, drinks and dances around the hens.

Advice?
I see the nub. It looks like a feather might be coming out. That wouldn't cause blood. If the feather broke really close to the base and him pecking at it could cause it to bleed. Should be fine in a couple weeks. Make sure to separate him from others. Chickens will sometimes become cannibalistic if they see blood. Just to try and let it heal try to keep him by himself.

I see, then I'll do just that. Thank you~!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom