Rooster tail position, what does it mean?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickybaby, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Chickybaby

Chickybaby Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2008
    NC - paradise!
    [​IMG] Maybe a silly question, but I haven't seen it before so I'll just ask... Is there a meaning in the position a rooster holds its tail in? I've got a 3 1/2 mo old Lt Brahma roo that holds its tail down - like he's covering his butt or something. It's not an all the time thing, but it happens enough that I started to question if something is wrong or if it's just something they do. Doesn't matter if I'm in the pen or not, so I don't think it has to do with people in the pen. I've watched from the front porch while they're running around their yard, and he'll do it then to. One of the pullets, same age, I've seen do it one time. Otherwise it seems to be just this roo. Any ideas as to what he's doing? Thanks! [​IMG]

2. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    Some breeds of chickens hold their tail at different degrees because of well......their breeds. LOL It doesn't usually mean anything about their personality. I have an rescue x-fighting hatch game roo that holds his really far sideways because his previous owners kept him in a pen that was too small fro his massive tail.
    I don't know if this will help much but I tried.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  3. Chickybaby

Chickybaby Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2008
    NC - paradise!
    Thanks... I would understand it better if he had been confined and learned to hold it a certain way. That would make perfect sense. What doesn't make sense is that he just seems to do it for no apparent reason, and it isn't an all the time thing. One minute he's fine, tail straight out (sometimes higher than others) than look at him again and it's down covering his hind end. Strange..... [​IMG]

4. ChickyPooh

ChickyPooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    South GA
    Oh!!! I know! My pullet does it when the others knock her of balance. I can't believe I didn't notice that before. Thats probly not what it is but hey, its a possibility.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by