1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster tap dancing? *NOW WITH VIDEO*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrbstephens, Sep 2, 2009.

1. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

This morning when I let the chickens out of the hen house my rooster was moving his feet around that looked just like he was tap dancing! Has anyone else seen their chickens do this? He's getting huge by the way. He's only 19 weeks old and is close to twice the size of the hens that are the same age. He's a Partridge Rock. When he walks and jumps, he practically makes the earth shake. And now his clucking is a low baritone. His crowing has gotten MUCH louder and way more often. He's waking me up now that the windows are open, because the AC is off. I fall right back to sleep, but I don't think the neighbors are too happy about it. I'll be covering up the windows to the hen house sooner than later for the night time and hopefully his early morning wake up call won't be so disturbing. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  2. tallieb

tallieb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Arizona
    I just saw that very same thing from my EE Rooster this morning.
    I am too curious as to what he was doing.

3. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    He's either scratching for food or, most likely, dancing for his ladies. It means he wants to mount them, I believe... we do not have a roo (sadly, the neighbors would complain) but I have read a lot about it here.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  4. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    We need a video !

5. mrbstephens

Quote:Yes, he dancing when a hen comes near him.

6. mrbstephens

Here are some pics of him:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Quote:Yes, he dancing when a hen comes near him.

Yup, there's your answer. Whatever you do, don't let him dance to you, however funny it is. It means he thinks he's dominant over you and he could be violent towards you if you don't fix it. If he tries, some people hold their roosters. Or kick them... though I would prefer the first for obvious reasons!

8. awtandrocks

awtandrocks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2009
    Florida
    I don't have a clue what the tap dancing means but that sure is a pretty Roo.

9. OccamsTazer

OccamsTazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Is there a dominance component to it? One of mine tap dances right before he attacks me...

10. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by