Rooster Temperament Changing - is this normal??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jabbok, May 19, 2011.

1. Jabbok

Jabbok Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Funkytown, USA
    We have a Dark Cornish rooster and he has been very docile and friendly and even sweet. He'll be a year old in July. Well, the other day I was walking from the coop to our house and he was following me rather aggressively and I was watching him. Usually I just walk to the house, but this day I noticed that he was coming at me aggressively (for him, anyway, he doesn't usually do that). I stopped walking and he kept coming. I gently pushed him back with my foot and he came at me again. He did this 3 times. He wasn't trying to spur me at that point, but he was determined to try to teach me something, though I'm not sure what. I got him to stop coming at me. Even held him and tried hand feeding him later that day (he wouldn't eat, he is rather picky). Yesterday I was trying to pet him and he ran away from me, so my husband did the same thing and he ran away from him, too. Is it normal for a rooster to go from super friendly to so standoff-ish? We're keeping an eye on him, especially with the kids. Our chickens free range all day.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I think that he ran away is a good thing. You don't want him to keep trying to come after you, it will lead to him fully flogging/spurring you. Just in case though, next time you get a hold of him, round off his spurs.

Be really careful with the kids. I've had a rooster hit me at hip level (and I'm 5'8").

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

He's at THAT age now. He likely challenged you to see if he is higher up than you, in his mind. He backed down, which is good. But he might not back down from one of the kids and, for that matter, he may challenge you again. He may not be done figuring out his place quite yet. Keep an open eye.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Agreed. Keep encouraging him to keep his distance and remove those spurs.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Time to start treating him like a rooster not a pet. He must be convinced that you are dominant. DO NOT TRUST HIM AROUND YOUR CHILDEN!

6. Jabbok

Jabbok Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    Funkytown, USA
    Thanks for the heads-up on our rooster. I am kind of sad he's changing. :'( He's been sweet and really fun to watch all this time! Guess I'll be on my toes when I'm out there and especially when the kids are out there with the chickens now. I have cautioned them about his changing behavior.

Thanks again!

7. FarmGirl444

FarmGirl444 New Egg

May 1, 2013
    Lakeville, Minnesota
    Some roosters can have mood swings very frequently, and this situation is totally normal. My extremly docile and friendly rooster has always sat on my shoulder and hung out with me. Lately, he has been attacking my goats and horses. As roosters grow older, they get the sense of flock mentality and grow the instinct of being boss and protecting the flock. Your rooster, since he is entering a year just like mine, is probably just going through the hormonal changes of being the defender of the flock, and there really isn't a way to prevent it. If you have been close to or " bothering " the hens, he might attack spur you, and that really hurts. The best thing to do is just let him be.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by