1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster temperment Q.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by horsechick, Apr 23, 2008.

1. horsechick

horsechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    Hi all,

We have what I am 95% sure are two roosters. Got as chicks they are about 2 months old now, their combs are getting very big and redder than the pullets I bought.

One is so very friendly, pick him up, he talks, etc. He will settle down on your lap or leg and sit and look around.
    my daughter brings him in the house and he will lay on her lap and take a nap while she watches t.v. You talk and he mumbles, LOL! [​IMG]

The other one is a KOOK! [​IMG]

You try to catch him and he runs like he is on fire!!!
    Squaking up a storm.
    I keep telling my daughter I am going to let him free range and if he gets whacked its his fault....

Anyway, just wondered if this would be any indication of thier future temperments?

Will they be about the same as they get older?

Thanks for any insights,
    Angela

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    the older roos get the meaner they get.thats a fact of life.a rooster that stays gentle is a rare find.

3. horsechick

horsechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2007
    Eaton, Ohio
    ok, so we need to get rid of our crazy guy and keep our mellow one. (even he will get mean as he gets older?)
    If they get feisty can you just shoo them or will they get madder then?

I actually don't "need" him either because they are ameracanas (SP?) and my pullets are a couple diferent breeds we got for laying and to see which ones we like best. (2 b.o.'s 2 barred rocks, 1 white rock)
    Thanks for the info.
    I think he'd be to small to process but maybe I can put an add for him. He looks like a hawk (coloring wise.)

Thanks again,
    Appreciate it,
    Angela

4. farm_mom

farm_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    MI
    In my experience a gentle roo at this age could very well remain a gentle rooster as an adult. Especially if he likes being handled. I'd keep him and give him a chance. But then again, I love having a roo on my property!! [​IMG]

5. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    I had a beautiful roo that loved to be held and talked to. He was my middle son's good buddy. Then suddenly he began to show signs of aggression towards him. I think he saw him as competition and wanted to "put him in his place" We really tried to change him behavior. We tried the water squirting and holding him upside down or whatever. Nothing worked. One day DS was in the run and bent over to give one of the girls dome attention. He was flogged pretty bad in the face by Nugget. He was rehomed the very next day. Luckily I have an Uncle who owns a farm. He went there and has benn happy ever since. Here is my point. Roos will do what comes naturally to them. Defend their flock, show their donimance, whatever. Please be carefull. Your daughter should know the signs of aggression and watch for them. I feel guilty to this day that my DS has a scar on his face for something I could have prevented! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by