Rooster that cuddles?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by daps2000, Oct 31, 2009.

1. daps2000

daps2000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Really ... I have a rooster that loves to cuddle with me everyday! He will scare off the hens ... and jump in my lap! He then puffs up his neck feathers so I can pick at them! If I stop ... he takes his head and rolls it around under my chin!

I love the attention! But, really ... am I the only one that gets this kind of attention from their rooster?

I'd post a picture of the silly man ... but I'm not sure how to do it?

2. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    How old is he? He might grow up to be a bit less cuddley and a bit more proetective. I think you are really lucky just the same.

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

My Jerry was like that...He'd hop onto my lap and just cuddle...very odd for a Leghorn.

4. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I have a rooster and a hen that does that... the hen is just shameless... if I'm holding the rooster she comes flying into my lap and moves between me and him or tries to get under him.

The rooster flies up for neck rubs too, so I can get his "feather crusties" off the back of his head. If the sun is out he'll lay on his side on my leg and cock a wing out to sun bathe while I pet him.

Weirdo chickens... the rest won't do that, they'll look into my lap when either one of the two are up there, or peck at my shoes, take treats... but I have to catch them to hold them, they won't volunteer.

5. daps2000

Quote:Well ... you could be right there ... he is almost a year old! But, I hope he doesn't stop! When he was younger ... the hens would chase him around .. (hen picked ... LOL) He would jump on my lap to get away ... now he is the top dog! And, He keeps the hens away from me so he can control the lap! Kinda funny when you think about it ... because his name is Snowball ... so dam cute!

I just wanted to know if I'm the only one that has a rooster that just LOVES to cuddle under my neck ... just like a kitten!

6. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I use to have a rooster like that. I have a hen who just loves to be snuggled, in fact just the other night (she lives in the house) I grabbed her, wrapped her in a fleece blankie and put her on my chest. We both fell asleep for 2 1/2 hours and not one turd on me. She was quite upset when I put her back in her room for the rest of the night. She prefers to sleep in her very own snuggie rather then on a roost.

7. daps2000

Quote:Good to know I'm not the only one!!! How old is your Roo?

8. flymamma

flymamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I had BR roo that .. well .. I thought was a hen . "Barbara" was the nicest "hen" I've had . Very tame , and friendly .

9. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I think he's about 5-6 months old. I didn't ask when I bought him! LOL

10. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
    He'll probably get ya one of these days. If not you, then somebody. Tell us about it here when it happens. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by