Rooster that doesn't act like a rooster...?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CBee, Jan 14, 2009.

1. CBee

CBee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    My 10 month old Silkie roo does not act like a roo at all! He has never crowed and he doesn't try to mate with the hens. (We had a rooster his age that did this frequently, so that's what made me realize that our Silkie never did.) He is really sweet and is perfectly healthy, so I don't' know what this means.

Also, he's not the top chicken. He's located about in the middle of our pecking order. Does this have something to do with it?

2. Orpingtonman

Orpingtonman Chillin' With My Peeps

If hes in the middle of the flock, then he might feel like he can't or the top Roo won't let him. try separating him with a few hens of his own for a while. He might get the idea!

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    First.... [​IMG] It's great having you here !!!

Are you sure "he" is a "he" silkies can be hard to sex somtimes !!!

Could you post a pic of him ??

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:You said it all right there. My subordinate rooster doesn't crow, try to mate, or really have anything to do with the hens if my alpha roo is anywhere around. He's smart enough to know that doing any of those things with the alpha around means he's gonna get a butt whoopin'.

5. CBee

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    Quote:Thank you, this site has been so helpful to me, as it is the first time our family has raised chickens. [​IMG]

Here's is a pic of our baby:

[​IMG]

6. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    A full pic of the whole body would be better, so we could see the tail feathers.

But IMO that looks like a hen !!!! Do you get eggs ??

Anyone else think "he" looks like a hen ???

7. GanjaXD

GanjaXD Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    Uh-oh he's gender confused :O! Might have to start hanging out with daddy a little more, now won't we little silkie?
    xD.

8. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    CBee- you should edit your title.... add to it - updated with pic !!

That way people will come look !!!

9. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    definately a young roo low on the pecking order. i have roos just like him, he will come around with his domanance when he is ready. they r very gentle and sweet and good to the girls so that is a good thing he just hasn't found his place where he fits is yet is all. [​IMG]

10. CBee

May 11, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    Quote:No, no eggs. That's why I thought 'she' was a 'he.' We have been calling him Rosalie this whole time, and up until a week ago we just started thinking 'Hey, maybe this isn't a hen...'

[​IMG]

You can kind of see the tail feathers here, but I'll take a better picture later. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by