Rooster that is a chicken chicken

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spies04, Dec 11, 2011.

1. spies04

spies04 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    Well, I have been letting one of our two roosters live in a large dog kennel to get some of his feathers back. I let him out every so often to move around and get with the other hens. But the odd thing is he actually loves the kennel and more often than not, he doesn't want to come out of the kennel even if I leave the door open. And when he is out, he is practically hysterical moving from box to box and really, does not want to have a lot of contact with the hens. I have never had a rooster act like his. He is much more content living in this dog kennel by himself. Plus the hens are still obsessed with his back feathers which may be adding to this. He is not aggressive at all and will actually eat from my hand.

And the saga goes on:th

I don't plan to get rid of him and if he would rather live in the dog kennel by himself, that is OK too. I am just not sure if I am doing the right thing for him. It has been too cold and snowy for them to go out which leaves them confined together.

Any thoughts?

2. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    You have a hermit rooster!! [​IMG]

3. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Aww he sounds like a sweetie, is there a possibility of getting him some of his own hens? Maybe a girl or two?

4. spies04

spies04 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Minnesota
    Actually, many of the hens he is with he was hatched with. We are really trying to keep everyone in the same house because it is much more fit for the winter months. The kennel is large enough that we had put a hen in there with him and all he said was no thank you [​IMG].

It is the oddest thing. But he is just the sweetest. To be perfectly honest, if I had to choose between this and having a rooster hunting me from around the corner, I will take this all day long.

5. LoveNewChicks

LoveNewChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2011
    I don't know,
    My Coop
    he sounds nice [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by