Rooster that won't shut up?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CherokeeGal, Sep 13, 2009.

1. CherokeeGal

CherokeeGal Out Of The Brooder

Alright so I have a problem.

When I first convinced my parents to get chickens, I told them that we would make sure to get all hens. No rooster.

So, I made sure to have the girl at the feed store "double check" to make sure we were getting all females. She assured me and we left with seven new babies that were adorable!

A little later on we noticed that Bonnie, one of our Americanas, was really pushy and seemed to be the dominate one. She also had much brighter coloring than the others and was noticeably more vocal.

Then one day while we were walking to the coop we heard it. It sounded like someone was strangling Bonnie! We rushed to the coop only to find Bonnie to be completely fine and just making the noise on her own.

Then my mom said it. "Why did our hen just crow!?"

So now I have a HUGE problem. Someone seriously needs to get Foghorn a clock because he crows at ALL HOURS. I'm completely serious when I say he belts off one every three minutes- no matter the time. Last night at 3 am I heard him. And just now at 11:06 am. What is up with my rooster?

It wouldn't really be much of a problem- but my mom works from home and sometimes she has to hold meetings. Her office is located right next to the coop. Other than that it doesn't really bother the rest of us. The neighbors, I'm not sure. We haven't gotten a call yet but I think it might be coming if this keeps up for too much longer.

So any ideas why Foghorn is crowing so much? My family all has different ideas. My dad thinks it's because he's trying to impress his harem of hens. My mom that he's bored, my brother that he's just young and talkative.

Is there anything I can do to muzzle his constant crowing? [​IMG]

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    You could kill him.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

He's just being a rooster and doing the rooster thing! [​IMG] My roo crows ALL - DAY - LONG! He starts when it's still pitch black out and he'll sometimes crow at night if the moon's out. But we are rural so it's not a problem and I like hearing him. Nothing you can do to shut him up other then send him to freezer camp or rehome home him. Are you in town? If you have close neighbors they may not appreciate him much!

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Yep, he's just being a rooster-nothing you can do to stop him.[​IMG]

5. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Some roosters crow more than others--maybe you just have a mouthy one. My neighbour has a roo who crows non stop all day. He's a 1/4 mile down the road and I hear him during the morning, afternoon and evening. I'm sure he crows early on in the am too, but I don't hear that.

My rooster crows, and will start at about 4:30 am, but he probably only crows maybe 15-20 times a day. Nothing compared to my neighbours roo. He also might calm down as he gets older and gets used to the sound of his new call. They are pretty proud of themselves when they firt start out. [​IMG]

6. CherokeeGal

Haha Kooshie, my dad has threatened to several times.

Ah, so I guess certain breeds and roosters crow more often than others?

We're in a semi-rural spot. We have neighbors but they're just far enough away for it to be ok. I personally like to hear him crow- I just hope my neighbors can't hear him too well.

But if worse comes to worse I do have a friend with a whole flock of chickens and roosters. We'll rehome him if we need to.

Thanks!

7. aimeeinwv

aimeeinwv Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh! us too! We ended up with two "hens" that turned into roo's! They both crow all day.. so far not during the night. So far no complaints from the neighbors.. but that's coming I'm sure. Now and then when they start I'll holler "TUCKY FRIED CHICKEN!!!!" and they seems to understand! [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  8. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Freezer camp....sorry he is not going to stop.

9. CherokeeGal

Glad to hear I'm not the only person it's happened to! [​IMG] haha

Well, so far we're going to keep him. I've decided to make it my experiment and try to decipher why he's crowing so much.

Today I tried solitary confinement. I have been in construction on several different portable runs and decided to try and see if he'd quite down a little if he was by himself. Viola! We cut Mr.Loudmouth down to about half as many crows! If I keep this up he just might get saved from "going to live with a nice family upstate." [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by