1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster to Hen !!!!!! Help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 235chickens, Aug 8, 2016.

1. 235chickens

235chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2015
    With my chickens
    We have a wellsummer four an a half months old we recently thought it was a rooster so we were days away from taking it to the auction when suddenly it must've heard us talking about that it laid an egg or so we think we have another wellsummer pullet but it is nowhere near egg laying age so what do you think ? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That's absolutely a female.

Welsummers are easy to sex, the color is different for the genders (sexually dimorphic). Females have this pretty color, notably the reddish brown breast. Males are colored like the Kellogg's rooster, and the breast is black.

3. 235chickens

Dec 1, 2015
    With my chickens
    Thank You
    First time raising welsummers[​IMG]

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Oh no problem, and don't feel bad. They're wonderful birds, and not everyone knows the color difference thing. Same with brown Leghorns, and those ladies freak out lots of folks cause they get such big combs and wattles earlier than other breeds.

Are her eggs a darker brown? My Wellies laid a decent terra cotta, and then one was a pretty speckled....

[​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Lovely Welsummer pullet

6. 235chickens

Dec 1, 2015
    With my chickens
    Yes vary dark brown

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Pullet--cockerels would have a completely different plumage. She is a very pretty bird [​IMG]

8. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    That is a pullet. The male counter part is completely a different color scheme which is a black body with red/gold saddles, hackles, wing bows. Best thing to do is to look up the breed you have and compare the male and female counter parts before letting them go [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by