Rooster To Hen Ratio. Should Sherman get New Hens to choose From???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by palomino777902, Oct 23, 2008.

1. palomino777902

palomino777902 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2008
    Elizabethtown, PA
    Ok, here is the deal. I have Elvis and I have General Sherman. I have 10 hens. Everybody has been raised together. (14 weeks)

Sherman has always been the underdog. An outcast of sorts so it seems.
    He has come out of his shell somewhat since the extra 14 roos we had were taken away.

Still..... Elvis is the King. Seems all 10 hens are his. Sherman doesn't seem to have anybody to call his own. Even the hens shun him.

My question is, do I find a new home for Sherman (which I do not want to, I want him) or do I get more hens and see if he will claim his own women?

If I do get more hens and seperate them with Sherman for awhile, once everyone is allowed to stay together, will the hens remain loyal to Sherman or we he end up an outcast again?

2. palomino777902

Oct 7, 2008
    Elizabethtown, PA
    Oh and I have heard that it should be 10 hens to one roo but I was hoping Elvis would share a little.

So do I run to the buy sell trade thread and see if anyone in my area has a couple of hens they would sell me or what?

3. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I read on that subject and it's a mixed answer! One owner said that it doesn't matter how many hens, head rooster will always have all the ladies. So even if you do get more hens it will appear that they will prefer Elvis. I have 5 roos and 15 hens and they free range and branch off with a few ladies a piece. so I guess it's personal experience or if the roos are all the same age. I think sherman will be fine even if it means "left-overs". I myself am so excited because i have found a home for my "extra" roos. So now it's decision time to keep 1 or 2 of my boys. Your post makes it hard for me to decide now!! It's something to think about! Good luck, I'm sure either decision can be the right one! It's just a matter or having enough room!! (I would say keep him-I know.....this from the woman rehoming some of her boys.....)

4. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I've got 2 roos in with 12 hens/pullets. The main man is Rocky, and the beta roo is Pierre. Pierre is not allowed to crow (or he gets pecked...HARD...by Rocky), nor is he allowed to mate. However, I have to say I've seen Pierre get with the ladies when Rocky's on the other end of the run (which is 15 x 40), or in the coop. The two boys get along just fine and, in fact, roost together at night.

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:My experience has been pretty much the same as Wynettes. I have 16 hens to 2 roos. The alpha gets all the ladies.
    As long as the roos aren't fighting and you want to keep both I don't see a problem. My subordinate roo lucks out every once in awhile. He's learned to wait until the alpha isn't around to stop him. Still, he's a really nice roo and he makes up for his lack of loving by taking solace in food.

6. palomino777902

Oct 7, 2008
    Elizabethtown, PA
    Thanks guys for the replies. Now I know why I only hear Sherman crow when Elvis is in the other part of the coop! I didn't realize Elvis even told Sherman, no crowing unless you can't see me!!! LOL!

I'm keeping him. I just hope he get's a little once in awhile!

He is my little buddy. He has to stay. I already had to part with too many!

7. addiedunn

addiedunn Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Quote:I love that...we have a little buddy, too. We ended up with 4 roos and two layers so we were going to get rid of three roos but little louie is so sweet I can't part with him. he rarely even leaves the coop and he doesn't mind being held. he'd rather hang with the dogs than the rest of the flock. I don't blame him...they're so mean to him.

8. palomino777902

Oct 7, 2008
    Elizabethtown, PA
    Yep, the gang is mean to Sherman too. I should have named him Underdog![​IMG]

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Palomino, you have two options since you want to keep him. Hope that relations get better or get him his own brood, separate from the others. Since the other roo is the alpha, if you add more hens together, chances are they will fight. We have 12 hens and 1 roo and things are just about perfect.

10. omelette'smom

omelette'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Wow!! I have the 5 roos like i said and 3 crow like it's a contest! also all 3 take advantage of all the girls at leisure. the two white ones don't crow and wondered why! Now i know! So basically i have 3 alpha males-is this possible! they don't fight at all! The one that i am going to keep though is hawkeye since he always gives his treats to the ladies. He's a love bucket!!
    [​IMG]:love:love:love:love

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by