Rooster to Hen Ratio?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MesMama, Mar 16, 2016.

1. MesMama

MesMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015
    Iowa
    What is a good rooster to hen ratio?

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    depending on room and total birds, you can get away with as low as 5 if you have a gentle roo or as high as 20 if you have a rough roo if you are wanting good fertility 8 is a good number.

3. MesMama

Apr 22, 2015
    Iowa
    Thanks! I have plenty of space so that's good :) Right now I have 7 hens and 1 roo, he's awesome [​IMG] And I am adding significantly to my total, I will have 16-20 (some BO's, 2 SS and some Welsummers). So the total is really depending on the straight run of Wellies. Was thinking if I got roos I should probably keep one?

4. MesMama

Apr 22, 2015
    Iowa
    And from what I've gathered, they will split the hens? Hopefully that's a peaceful, smooth process [​IMG] Thinking the ones I have now would be with my current roo and then all the new ones would be with the new rooster? I got so lucky with our roo now, I'm praying I get another good one!

5. chicklover 1998

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    you can keep two with that, they can sometimes fight over the hens at that point I would go down to one and pick the nicer of the two, not all roos will want all the girls but I started having that problem.

6. MesMama

Apr 22, 2015
    Iowa
    Thank you! That helps :) I wasn't sure if one roo could tend to that many, so that's good to know! I have such a good balance right now and am fearful of changing things so drastically for them, BUT we need more eggs than what we are able to get with just my 7 girls now, so. Maybe my roo now will be okay with that many on his own [​IMG]

7. MichiganSilkie

MichiganSilkie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2016
    Michigan - Southeast
    I have 2 Silkie roos and 16 silkie hens, about 8 hens per roo and everyone seems very content.

1 person likes this.
  8. chicklover 1998

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    silkies are usually pretty laid back especially the roos, they are nice, others can be a lot rougher and pretty mean.

1 person likes this.
  9. MesMama

Apr 22, 2015
    Iowa
    I think I will play it by ear, I'm hopeful that my roo will do as good a job as he did with my two broody hatched chicks (1 cockerel, 1 pullet). He kept them in line, but was gentle and protective at the same time :) Just love him! And my mom has the cockerel now and he is a chip off the old block [​IMG] So if I do end up with any cockerels I'm hopeful that everyone will live in harmony...one can dream right? lol! [​IMG]

10. MesMama

Apr 22, 2015
    Iowa
    Oh and [​IMG] @chicklover 1998 Fellow Iowan!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by