Rooster to Hen Ratio?

seramaman99

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2018
Hi,

I am planning to buy some seramas. Can I keep all the roosters and hens together in 1 coop?

I am planning to breed them also.

Would it be better to keep all my hens together and all my males together? & then when I am ready to breed I would put the rooster I want into the hens coop?

A dominant cockerel of any size will easily cover more than 12 hens a day. If keeping them for breeding, I'd keep the cockerels separate with hens of their own (or together in their own pen when not being used), as males together sometimes results in one cockerel submitting to the more dominant male, the lower male won't usually mate with the hens, he might once or twice when the other male is out of sight, when keeping males together, that doesn't really matter as you can just remove the one you want and put him with the hens. Even for small bantams, I'd stick with no less than six females per male. Not sure about serama specifics but I'd assume this also applies to them

Welcome to BYC @seramaman99 .

The 'rooster' to hen ratio of 1:10 that is often cited is primarily for fertility efficiency in commercial breeding facilities.
It doesn't mean that if a cockbird has 10 hens that he won't abuse or over mate them.
Many breeders keep pairs, trios, quads, etc
It all depends on the temperaments of the cock and hens and sometimes housing provided.
Backyard flocks can achieve good fertility with a larger ratio.

Back
Top Bottom