Rooster to Hen Ratio

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by monkeyqueen, Aug 21, 2013.

1. monkeyqueen

monkeyqueen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2013
    Hi, everyone! started my first flock on July 4, really enjoy my backyard feather babies. I have 3 RIR somewhere about 12-18 months, 1 black I have no idea what she is or age, 2 americanas, 1 rock, and 1 chochin all 3 months and 1 black someething another rooster somewhere about 12 months. Laying has been a problem with only about a dozen eggs total from the older girls, younger haven't started to lay yet. I have been given all kinds of theories, stress from move, weather, too old, not right diet, etc. Yesterday 2 different farmers told me I need another rooster to make my girls lay. Said they would compete and show off for him as they weren't interested in the one I have. Just to be sure rooster #2 is younger. I thought the ratio was 5-10 hens per rooster. Seems the more I learn the less I know.

2. angel8035

angel8035 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2012
    Applegate, California
    Roosters have nothing to do with laying. Is it possible they are laying their eggs outside somewhere where you don't see them? Also, 12-18 months is around the time of first molt when they will take off a few months of laying. Unfortunately, you probably just have to wait until they are ready to lay as long as you have the conditions right. A lot of people get frustrated having to wait, but just remember that these are living animals not machines. With that many girls, you should get a lot of eggs soon. Good luck.

3. whitt910

whitt910 Out Of The Brooder

Agreed!

I have 26 chickens total, 3 roo's (2 buff orpingtons, 1 RIR), 8 BR, 8 RIR, 10 BO... But i agree that roosters don't really have anything to with their laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by