rooster to hen ratio

chickie momma di

Songster
11 Years
Jun 6, 2008
Southeastern, MA
IS IT OK TO PUT ONE MOORE ROOSTER WITH 3 ROOS AND 2 HENS ALREADY TOGETHER?
roll.png
WILL ANYTHING HAPPEN TO THE NEW ROO?

First......
welcome-byc.gif

The rooster to hen ratio is 1 rooster per about 10-15 hens.... Doesnt take many to get the job done.... I guess it all depends on your flock and if they get along. You just dont want you hens getting overmated and stressed !!!! My idea.... Get like 30 more hens and you will be all set, LOL !!!!!

First of all,
welcome-byc.gif
! It's nice to see another new member!

swtangel321 is right about the ratio of roosters to hens. I'm actually surprised that the hens and roosters you have right now are living in harmony.

Roosters can be very domineering, and to prove their dominance over the other roosters, they will mate the hens in the other roosters' presence. It's kind of like "laying a claim" to the hens: "She's my hen, see? Go get your own."

If you have a lot of roosters and only a few hens, the hens will often be over-mated as the roosters struggle to assert dominance. This can be very traumatic for the hens. They can be injured and lose a lot of the feathers on their backs from too much mating. They can also be "gang-raped" to death, or become injured trying to escape or run away from the roosters.

I suggest choosing the rooster that seems like the best "flock protector" to live with your hens, and put the other roosters in their own, separate, bachelor pad.

I had 2 roosters with my five hens till a fight broke out I know you did say I told you so he has been rehomed now as is very happy

Back
Top Bottom