Rooster to Hen Ratios...Please look! I need advice.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by WRVgirl, Nov 28, 2012.

1. WRVgirl

WRVgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2012
    Zone 8a
    How many Hens should you have per Rooster, to make sure the flock is completely covered?

I have 7 Hens and wanted to know if 2 Roosters is enough, too many, not enough?

I've got no idea how it works...and I'm still pretty new to all of this.

I definitely have one Rooster right now. A big, pretty splash. He's not aggressive, and seems not to realize that he's in charge. The Cochin hen still manages all the babies...even though the Roo is bigger than she is. I want friendly Roosters, because mean Roosters will end up in my belly.

But I want to have enough time to handle and pick the right boys for my flock [the babies are 6 weeks old now so I have plenty of time]

Thanks everyone!

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If your present rooster is healthy and active, he'll have no problem covering 7 hens. Adding another rooster with only 7 hens would simply create problems.

3. WRVgirl

Jun 16, 2012
    Zone 8a
    Thank you.

4. WRVgirl

Jun 16, 2012
    Zone 8a
    But if I start adding more hens [which I'm sure will happen in the spring!]

At what size/number of hens, would I have to add a second Roo.

I'll be selling hatching eggs and want to ensure that I don't sell any duds.

5. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    I would double the hens for another rooster.. Or buy two more roosters and keep them in their own pen. Come breeding time put them each with a couple hens in separate breeding pens. I would probably just keep a young cockerel from next season as adult roosters rarely get along.

6. WRVgirl

Jun 16, 2012
    Zone 8a
    Oh good! My husband is chomping at the bit to eat one of those chickens...but I just don't have the heart. I love those chickens like they are family.

7. WRVgirl

Jun 16, 2012
    Zone 8a
    Maybe next season I'll give him a rooster :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by